Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Prevent Access opening in 2K

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobPotts

Technical User
Aug 5, 2002
US
Hi,

I've got a access '97 database, which one day soon I will convert to 2K. However until I do this I need to prevent users who have been upgraded to 2K accessing it. Is there a way of doing this.

Rob

Can you run some code at the start that checks the version? Like Iif( version > 5.6)
{
Exit()
}

As you can see, I'm not a VBA man! lol

Good Idea, but the database has to load-up in order to read the code, so wont work.

I understand and sympathize with your problem. I too have the same problem with some of our databases.

What we decided to do was not install A2K on the users machines. Another way, though is to create a directory on the network which is a "hidden share". Only those members of staff with access to this hidden share will be able to open the database ( and you can define that yourself ). Speak to your network administrator about this.

What I do when this isn't possible, is to create a shortcut on the machines of those people who have acces 2k, and make sure that these shortcuts for your database only ever point to Access 97, so for a database "C:\My Documents\MyDatabase.mdb" use :

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\v97\msaccess.exe" "C:\My Documents\MyDatabase.mdb"

and make sure that you protect it with security logins.

It would also be an idea to have a look at .mda files (system.mda) which defines the environment that databases open in.

Hope this helps. If anyone does come up with a better solution, please post. I would be equally as interrested.

Regards,
Mr Big.

Dont Be Small - Be BIG

Not sure why you would want to "prevent" users with Office 2000 from using your database, except that you don't want them converting the database and maintaining redundant information in 2 different db's. Assuming that you would like them to be able to use the db, here's what I've done in the past:
- Create a "back - end" for your database (in your shared network file) that contains all of the tables relied upon by the db. This must be built in Access 97 as 2k users can link to tables in a 97 db, but 97 users cannot link to 2000 tables.
- Create a "front - end" in Access 97 that is a copy of your original database, but links to the tables in the back - end.
- Make a copy of this front - end, and convert it to 2000.
- Distribute the appropriate versions to your users.

This will should solve your problems, but let me know if you have any questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back