Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Press SPACEBAR or ENTER to activate and use this control

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtorrey2

MIS
Feb 3, 2004
US
I have a user who is trying to reply to an email and when he hits the reply button, the has this message appear.,
Press SPACEBAR or ENTER to activate and use this control
He is using Outlook Web Access. Any ideas? I tried to update the Active X, but no go.
Thanks

this change was in a recent update to give users the option of allowing active X controls to operate on webpages.

personnly, i find it intrusive for webpages that i trust (my own included) but other users may find it more for their liking.

Well this is the first time I have gotten to experience having an option I guess. So what you are saying is that if the user chooses to PRESS the button tha appears, then it shouldnt show up again?

i think it will show up agin the next time the page is reloaded/re-visited.

alright, the user clicked the button and it keeps appearing now, so I will read more to figure out how to disable it.
Thanks for your advice.

Did you install this recent update?

Internet Explorer ActiveX update

"After you install this update, you cannot interact with ActiveX controls from certain Web pages until these controls are enabled. To enable an ActiveX control, manually click the control. There are also techniques that Web developers can use to update their Web pages. For more information about these techniques, visit the following MSDN Web site:"

This is a recent change to the way Internet Explorer is going to handle these type of Activex web pages.
If you uninstall that update you may not receive any more IE Security Updates (according to a private Microsoft document I read). They are relying on the Web Sites to change the behavior and it is out of the hands of the normal user/surfer.

There maybe a temporary workaround for a few months, but that has not been released yet, but maybe released later this month.

"Microsoft will be releasing an optional IE Active X Compatibility Patch, to be available the same day as the IE ActiveX update. Once deployed, the optional patch will temporarily return IE to the previous functionality for handling ActiveX controls. This optional patch will function until the June IE cumulative update is released at which time the changes to the way Internet Explorer handles ActiveX controls will be permanent."

Hi,

I have a user getting this same message and now I see we are all getting the message. It's a Rich Text Editor box run by sharepoint. After clicking Enter, I am able to edit the text in the box as always. However he says that when he hits enter the control "activates" as far as the Bold, Italic and etc icons on the top, but he is unable to click on and edit any text. Do you guys know of any reason this would happen? I am not near the person so I cannot actually try it out for myself. It may just be user error, but I wanted to know if any of you have heard of this issue just in case there is something bigger wrong.

Let me know if I should create a new thread, I thought posting it here would save me from explaining the msg box discussed above.

Thanks!!!
Suzanne

[cat2] *Suzanne* [elephant2]
[wavey] [wiggle]

Further to my original post, I believe that Microsoft are expecting to release a hotfix/patch later this week through Windows Updates, with any luck this may fix these type of problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back