Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Preserving hyphens from Passport to regular Quark

Status
Not open for further replies.

SemihF

Technical User
Oct 3, 2002
US
I prepare a foreign-language document in Quark Passport, using its hyphenation dictionary for that specific language. Then, when I save the document as a single language document and open in regular Quark, it asks for the hyphenation dictionary of the particular language. Without the dictionary text gets reflowed with new, incorrect hyphenation. Isn't there (or shouldn't there) be a way of converting the hyphens into dashes of some sort when saving the document as a single language document? Otherwise, if the document is going to be checked or processed by several people, this requires everyone in the chain either to use Passport or to have the particular dictionary installed on every machine (at least $200 a shot). For instance, what do you do with the service bureau separating the layout? Is there a way one can search-replace auto hyphens? Thank you.

SemihF...
this is a problem we encounter every day in pre-press. That is why we have Passport. That is the only solution to the problem.
Wulfie

SemihF...
you could, of course export the Quark pages as Quark.eps...or create PDF's
Wulfie

thank you for responding to my question. i know PDF is the best solution but many people in tne chain of production want to see the actual Quark file -- mostly for no serious reason. service bureaus wouldn't go near passport and printers don't want to deal with anything other that the good old quark. even an extension that could travel with the document freaks them out. this is one area where InDesign is going to win, even if not very soon. i wish there were a way of replacing the hyphens in passport with dashes followed by soft carriage returns... that could be the best solution.

If your QXP document is to be seen by people who don't have passport or even QXP copy, then EPS is a better option. It gives the same look as a QXP document does. The only necessary step is to have the same fonts installed and also supply the necessary source pictures files with the EPS.
Using PDF is also a good option because you can embed the fonts and pictures in a PDF format......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back