Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Presario 1275 Lucent modem

Status
Not open for further replies.

jebarr

IS-IT--Management
Sep 15, 2006
US
I have a compaq presario 1275 with a 56k modem. I believe it is Lucent. I am having a lot of trouble connecting, and when it does it is around 21bps. The pages load slowly or not at all. I have tried new drivers and removing the software and modem completely and reinstalling it. Any suggestions to what can be done. I use Earthlink.

It could be that your phone line is bad inside or out but it could also be that earthlink in your area is having some problems.

No, it's neither of these because I have the same problem in my office and with AOL. Any other suggestions. I did download ispeed last night which seems to have improved the loading of pages, but the connection is still slow

You said you had loaded new drivers, but just in case you didn't get the latest go to the address I provided. In control panel>>>Modems, click on properties and under the general tab, make sure the speed is set to 115200, and under Connection tab Advanced make sure "Compress data" and Software (Xon/Xoff) are selected.
This also has to be a V.90 modem. If it is X2 or KFlex, you won't connect faster that 31200--sometimes 33600. "A little knowledge is a dangerous thing....." [morning]

How can I check if it is a v.90. I know it is compaq 56k dfi with fax manufactured by Lucent.

Go to control panel>>>modems>>>diagnotics>>>and select your modem then select "more info".(you must be offline.)You should see V.90 listed if you can't find it anywhere in the list, then it's not V.90. How old is the modem?? "A little knowledge is a dangerous thing....." [morning]

I checked. It says LT v.92 Data+Fax Modem Version 8.22. The computer in 1998

I checked. It says LT v.92 Data+Fax Modem Version 8.22. The computer in 1998

Well, that is the new V.92 protocol. It should work. Was this modem added recently? V.92 didn't exist in 98. So this is not a winmodem. The driver I suggested is fo a Lucent Winmodem. What is it called under device manager? "A little knowledge is a dangerous thing....." [morning]

It was compaq 56k dfi untill I updated the driver. Now it says Lucent Win modem

But I had updated the driver a few days ago. Whould that change the settings in diagnostics?

Yes, you have educated me. Lucent lists two sets of generic drivers for their modems. You have the latest V.92 driver ver. 8.22. I just updated my Lucent modem to this version and it works good, but mine is a new modem. Were you having slow connect speeds before you installed this new driver? How did you decide that the Compaq driver was really a Lucent chipset? If it is it may work better with the 6.0 driver instead of the 8.22. I don't know for sure. You might read the info at this site.
You could download the driver 6.0 from the web site I sent you to earlier and remove the modem in device manager and load the 6.0 driver and see if it works better for you. This is just a thought and I'm out of ideas if that doesn't work.
OK, I see where you got that that it is a Lucent modem. At this site it tells you that:
The drivers listed are the older versions of the 6.0 driver. I'll bet you need the 6.0 driver instead of the 8.22 since your modem is so old. "A little knowledge is a dangerous thing....." [morning]

I learned the modem had a lucent chipset through a lot of research. (Compaq was no help at all. They think they have top secret technology and you need level 3 clearence to access it). My original purchase date was 9/20/99. I checked the original documentation which tells me is it is a 56k ITU V.90 modem

ITU is just the international standard V.90 format. If my suggestions above don't help, then I've run out of ideas. I still think the 6.0 driver may be what you need. You may need to get a new modem. They are cheap at and sometimes at "A little knowledge is a dangerous thing....." [morning]

i recently upgraded my hp machine to WinXP from winME. it worked fine and everything is great except for my modem. it connects to the server, and then when it is verifying my password, says that the server is not responding. i have a lucent winmodem. please help

Are you sure it's not just the server having temporary problems? Also, have you installed the XP drivers for your modem? "A little knowledge is a dangerous thing....." [morning]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back