Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Prepress for Business cards

Status
Not open for further replies.

romeggs

Programmer
Mar 22, 2003
CA
Does anyone has an example of a business card document ready to go to the print? I have to send these business cards I've created to the print for first time and I want to make sure that everything is prepeard the way it suppose to be.
Thank you! :)

Presumably your BCs consist of a logo and some text created in AI?

How many colours? And are they CMYK or are they spot colours?

Yes, BCs consist in a logo + text and I've created them in Illustrator.
It is a 2 colors job. Black and Pantone 186 CVU. I used a spot color, but I'm not really sure why should I use spot color instead of CMYK.
Would that make a difference in the end resoult of the image quality or in the budget?

>>Would that make a difference in the end result of the image quality or in the budget?<<

No and Yes.

No difference in image quality, but a big difference in cost.

If the print job uses a spot colour such as a PMS, then that specific colour ink will be used in the press. Plus the black, so two plates and two runs through the press, with one washdown between. If you use the CMYK equivalent of that spot colour, all four process colour inks will be required. Four plates, four runs, so more expensive.

How will you be sending the file to the printer? As a native AI file? or as a PDF? If the printer hasn't told you what is preferred, ring them and ask.

If sending as a native AI file, it is usually a good idea to make a copy of the file and convert the text to outlines. Then the text becomes a graphic, so there is no need to also supply the printer with the font.

But again, check with the printer.

If he requests a PDF, make sure you get the preferred job options settings for Distiller from him. This can be critical.

If you need to know more, post back.

Just note to the image quality...

Spot color will give you solid color and tone will match more or less exactly, cmyk gives you raster and the tone can pitch.

[flush3] ...don't take it too seriously

Eggles is there any way you can reply to my e-mail?

You have helped me a great deal on his awsome forum.

polyp8@yahoo.ca

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back