Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Preparing Active Directory for SMS Installation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pelson2003

Technical User
Feb 27, 2004
US
Hello All,

Next week , I am going to prepar Active Directory for SMS installation.

I've found the following documentation about this :

1 Step :

To extend the Active Directory schema by using ExtADSch.exe
You can find ExtADSch.exe in the \SMSSETUP\BIN\I386 folder on the SMS 2003 product CD.
1.Log on as a user with permissions to modify the schema.
2.At the command prompt, type ExtADSch.
3.Press ENTER

Question 1: Do we need to wait any time beetween this steps ?

2 Step :

To Manually Create the System Management Container
1.Log on as an account that has the Create All Child Objects permission on the System container in Active Directory.
2.Start ADSIEdit and connect to the domain if necessary.
3.In the console pane, expand Domain [computer fully qualified domain name], expand <distinguished name>, and right-click CN=System. On the context menu click New and then Object.
4.In the Create Object dialog box, select Container and click Next.
5.In the Value field, type System Management and click Next.
6.Click Finish.

Question 2 : Is that right ?

Important Point : For bussiness reasons I need to do this before the SMS Installation

Thanks a lot
Nelson Gomes

Sorry, I forgot something important

We have a Windows 2003 enviroment.

Question 1: Do we need to wait any time beetween this steps ?

Just make sure it extended.

q 2, no you can do it before during or after, if you want to make it a bit easier on yourself you can have the SMS install do it during the install so you don't have to screw around with all that. Meaning, the extending of the schema is completely automated in the SMS server setup if you select that option. Make sure you give machine rights to the system container in ad.. I'm sure you read through that if you read the other part.

I completed agree with your answer ( q2 )

but... for bussiness reason, and new ITIL ... a team needs to perform the schema update before the installation

... hummm sorry for this question

How I could check if the schema was extended?

Thanks
NELSON

Open AD users and computers, go to the view tab, select advanced view, refresh, go over to the right pane to the system container expand, and look for the system management container. inside there you should see your site server as something like SMS-MP-XXX-Name and SMS-Site-XXX

Thats off the top o my head but should be pretty close

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back