Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Premiere Pro 2.0 freezes after first action 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

link470

Technical User
Sep 1, 2005
CA
I've been running Premiere Pro for about 2 years now on my main system and have had no problems. I export Video to an external 1 TB harddrive, and use a pinnacle DV capture box. Everything has worked really well. Below are my specs:
----------------------------
Intel Pentium 4 3GHz
2GB Ram
ATi 9800XT 256MB
Creative Audigy 2 Platinum ZS
36GB 10000RPM
74GB 10000RPM
150GB 10000RPM
160GB 7200RPM
1 TB External Firewire
Pinnacle DV Capture Box
----------------------------

As you can see, it's a decent machine to run Premiere on, it's always worked. Until I moved recently. Now, before anyone thinks it's cards or hardware not being seated properly, the entire rest of the system works, so it could be something else I added [software wise], although it was just one game [Oblivion].

Premiere Pro 2 launches just fine. I get my workspace up, and all is well. Until I start doing things. I'll try to import a new file, and it freezes, and causes explorer and premiere pro and adobe cleanup and even dumprep to start using lots of processes in task manager. If I drag anything to the timeline, same thing. If I highlight the timeline and hit spacebar to start playing content, same thing. Also, if I drag any other windows over top of premiere, you get that odd effect of the window starting to look like what you dragged over it [if anyone knows what Im talking about]. The window that freezes is the preview window [usually on top right] where your video shows when it's previewing.

After that, you can't even end Premiere Pro via the task manager, it won't end, I'll select shut down within Windows, and it just won't shut down. It's the only time in 3 and a half years I've had to hold the power button down on that machine to turn it off.

I've reinstalled Premiere Pro completely, and the next step would be to format the machine. But I haven't formatted in 3 and a half years and the machine is running perfectly as I've tweaked it over the years. Every other Adobe Product on my machine is working fully, and all updates for all Adobe Products are installed to this date.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I'd much prefer to fix this problem than have to format. Like I say, I did a huge video project with all this hardware just 25 days ago.

Thanks!

I have to guess, but it isn't unknown for external FireWire drives to cause interactions when another FireWire port is talking to a video device.

If you have a choice of FireWire ports, it would be worth trying different combinations in case that fixes the problem, as it did for me some time ago.

Oh my, that was quite possibly the easiest fix I've ever seen in my life. I was stressing over this so much, I swapped the ports, took the firewire drive, plugged it into the one my capture box was in, and capture box into the one firewire drive was in, works PERFECTLY. I'm still staring at the screen in shock at how Adobe must read those things, lol. Thank you so much, you've made my week. Take care!

That's a relief! Other alternatives were far more challenging to fix.

Glad to have helped.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back