Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Premiere not recognizing my camera

Status
Not open for further replies.

kopes

Technical User
Sep 10, 2002
CA
I have Premiere 5.1 and firewire card. I can capture using Microsoft Movie Maker and software that came with firewire card (MGI Videowave III) but when I try to capture in Premiere, preview screen is grey with dots (technical term, I know) and will note recognize my camera. Any help would be appreciated!

It might be your camera and it might be your firewire card. Check Adobe's compatibility list to see:

That links to the Adobe Premiere 6.0 compatibility list, however. I can't find anything for 5.1, which actually might be your problem. Premiere 6.0 makes sweet love to DV devices -- even the splash logo was updated to show a digital camera and a glowing firewire cable. Adobe states "any IEEE 1394 interface identified as OHCI-compatible or OHCI-compliant will work with Premiere 6.0."

Tried upgrading to 5.1b? I think that's free.

But don't upgrade to 6.x unless you really need it -- and can shell out the money.

Try this, capture your clips in Windows Movie Maker or Videowave III, then simply import those into Premiere and edit from there. Unless of course, you like editing from Windows Movie Maker... (Good lord)

If you need to export back to DV, export your Premiere project as a movie and play that back to your camera from Movie Maker.

The extra steps are pretty annoying, but it's better than being broke.

Hope this helps.

-Trevor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back