Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Premiere 6.5 Unable to Export to Sony DV Cam

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turp

Technical User
Jul 2, 2003
US
I have Adobe Premiere 6.5 with Pinnacle DV500 & Hollywood FX GOld 4 running on win2000, 1.4G Pentium, 40G & 120G hard drives, & 768MB RDRAM. I have a OHCI compliant (Texas Instuments) IEEE 1394 host card running on windows drivers(1394bus.sys & ohci1394.sys)I can capture from my Sony DCR-VX2000, edit and render to an AVI or MPEG file with no problems what soever. But when I try to export to tape, print to tape or even start a new project, import the rendered avi, select the clip and try to export the clip to tape it fails. I get a black screen with a red X in the middle and it only records the audio. Device control is set properly. My editing mode is set to DV Playback. Compressor is Microsoft DV(NTSC). In the past I have taken the rendered AVI file that I created in Premiere and imported it to Vegas Video 4 and had no problems exporting to a tape using the same equipment. Please someone HELP! I don't want to keep using this workaround, it is very time consuming on larger projects. THANKS!!

Hi Turp,
Don't know if you are living in Europe, but if you do please read on...

I experienced similar problems, not being able to export to videotape. I phoned to JVC (DV camera manufacturer) and they explained me that in Europe it is normally not possible to export back to tape again. It is possible, but this makes your camera more expensive when purchasing it in a shop(paying off all sort of copyright nonsense).

They proposed two solutions: 1) buy new camera 2) go to a good audio/video store, and they're supposed to have some kind of device which you can install between PC and camera (I haven't tried this yet myself).

Hope it helps - good luck!

Hi there, a couple of points to try out.
1)You mentioning pinnacle dv500 and a OHCI compliant(Texas
Instuments) IEEE 1394 host card. Seperate cards? One is a
capture card , the other a firewire card. Latest driver,
version 4.5 for pinnacle installed? Microsoft drivers
installed for the firewire card?(not texas instruments
driver)

PERSONALLY, I WOULD NEVER HAVE 2 SEPERATE CARDs INSTALLED AND ACTIVATED AT THE SAME TIME.

2)file >new project >pinnacle dv pal/ntsc(where do you live)
>capture footage >drag to timeline and edit/add filters
etc >render the project >check settings in the RT INSTANT
VIDEO output module are set to DV device
3)file >export timeline (not export clip)>to tape, whole
project >signals should already be visible on the cam's
lcd display.
4)test: export timeline to hdd (export to movie)> settings
export as pinnacle avi > pinnacle compressor
re-import this created pinnacle avi back into a new
pinnacle project and export again as point 3
5)export to pinnacle avi >load into dv tools (pinnacle
native software)>export from dv tools
6)check cables/connections or a different camcorder

Good luck

"Life's too short, why worry..?"

I am having an Export to Tape problem, too. Everything worked fine until last Thursday. I left a project to render overnight, came in the next morning, and now NOTHING will export to tape. I've tried exporting to my JVC deck via FireWire, and to my Sony DV cam. I've tried several different tapes, different projects, and have even cut just a very small piece of video and tried to export that, all with no luck. I've even gone so far as to delete the prefs file to see if something had gotten screwy in there, but to no avail.

When I select Export to Tape, Premiere goes black, as usual, the DV/VCR initializes, flashes RECORD, then stops, and Premiere goes back to the workspace. I am sure it is some minor setting that has gotten hosed, but I can't find it. Any suggestions??

Hi there, to further comment on the settings, I need more info:
- prem 6 or 6.5
- OS, mac or win, which version
- what capture board are you using, pinnacle, matrox etc
what version driver?

General suggestion:
file->new project->appropriate presets->file->import->project->select original project->re-render->export out
only thru playback from timeline directly to camcorder

export to movie instead->play in WMP->does it work?
capture new footage->approxm 2000 frames->drag to timeline->render->export than immediately out again

Cool nifty, little DV test tool, >DVIO< , small compact, tests input/output thru firewire only, if this is what you are using.

good luck

&quot;Life's too short, why worry..?&quot;

I am using Prem 6 for Win (2k) w/ a Radeon All in Wonder Capture Card.

Exported a small chunk of movie. Played in WMP just fine. Will try to capture and immediately render/export, and try test tool. Thanks for your help!

I do not have the Pinaccle capture card installed, only the firewire card and the DV500 software. I have an Nvidia GEforce 2(32mb) AGP video card with the latest drivers.

win2000, premiere 6.5, firewire card is using win drivers(see my original post please)

When I playback preview from timeline it does go to my DVcamera, but is poor quality(very choppy)

Yes, when I render to AVI, it works great.

Two points to add;
1) This camera was purchased in Hong Kong. Should I use PAL instead of NTSC? I'll try that and see what happens.
2) I found info on the Adobe web site that suggested adding the two lines below to the prm60.ini file and this would force premiere to use codecs other than the RSLCodec.dll, which is the Pinnacle codec. I will try this also.

[Override]
PreferDSCodecs=1

I did notice all my captured clip properties have Pinaccle DV as the capture codec used. If I am using only the Pinnacle software and not the capture card, could this be a problem?

Hi starla2K,
sorry, no experience with &quot;re-modelled graphics cards&quot; (graphics cards which also offers capture fascilities), however

you mentioned &quot;...tried exporting to my JVC deck via FireWire, and to my Sony DV cam...&quot;
So you do have a firewire card or even a fw port on your mobo? Or are you using the Radeon All in Wonder Capture Card for both capture and export. Interesting.

I'm not aware of any pre-sets premiere has to offer to match the requirements of this card.
True firewire settings in premiere are >DVpal48hz, see workflow:
file->new project->DV pal48hz presets->file->import->select your avi's->place on timeline->render workarea->export out thru playback from timeline directly to camcorder.

other than that, has the AinW card got its own software you could use?

Hi Turp
I had experience in both, capturing and exporting with pinnacle card and software DV Tools and with pure Firewire and Premiere,
I would not mix both.

Pinnacle: 3important settings and export
- project presets pinnacle systems DV500
- edit->prefs->scratch dsk and device control = pinnacle
device control
- project->settings->capture->pinnacle capture format-
>settings->input settings->choose between svhs /
composite or DV
- file >export timeline (not export clip)>to tape, whole
project >activate device control->signals should already
be visible on the cam's lcd display.

or

- capture into DV Tools and let the RT INSTANT PLUGIN from
pinnacle save and open the avi directly in a pinnacle
project within Premiere
- File->export timeline to movie->pinnacle format and
compressor->import the avi into DV TOOLS and export from
there
New driver from pinnacle is vers 4.5

Firwire
- same workflow except the settings are firewire DV PAL
strd 48hz and the compressor used is DVPal
- export to tape again using these DVpal settings.

Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back