Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Premier Elements capture question 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

TeachR

Instructor
Feb 2, 2003
CA
I am buying Adobe Premier Elements version 4.0 in order to work with a camcorder, but also, to get video from video tapes (old VCR tapes) to put together some old family memories. I have been looking around, and cannot find out if this program will allow you to import from that source. The reviews all show/talk about a camera as a source.

I have an "All in Wonder" 9600 series display adapter through which I hope to import video clips. I'm using a machine with enough memory and speed, according to the specs required, and Windows XP.

Anyone with experience getting video in through a VCR connected to the computer?

Thanks in advance.

TeachR

Hi

The program you want is called DScaler.

I have used it for several years to do exactly what you want to do and to copy some old videos that I have saved to DVD.

You can download it here...

It works great and is easy to set up.

Just plug your VCR into your TV card start DScaler and the video will be displayed in a scaleable window on you desktop. I actually went to best buy and bought a new VCR (they are cheap) and sat it under my monitor so that I don’t have to run a cable from the one I have connecter to my TV. Just pop in the tape click on DScaler, and hit play.

It has a record function that will copy the video to your hard drive as it plays, no high speed record it does it in real time, and the files are big.

If you run your cable TV into the VCR you can watch TV on your computer too.

The best part is that it is free!

Mike

Thanks for this tip.

I'll have to try it with my card and see if it works. What type of file does it create, o0r do I have a choice?

TeachR

Your 9600 series All in Wonder card has composite video and audio inputs - which makes me believe the software that came with that card will allow you to capture your VCR video via those connections. You can then import the saved video into Premiere.

I use a Pinnacle Systems capture device that connects my VCR to the computer via USB, for the same application you state. The device came with software to capture the video through the USB port. No cards - when I'm done I can pack it all away until another day.

Have converted tons of VHS tapes this way - even used it to connect a tape deck to the computer to convert some old cassette tapes to CDs (dropped the video frame in premiere, obviously).

Hi

DScaler does offer choices about how you save the video.

I had the software that came with my TV Wonder Pro Card but was never able to get decent results with it. No sound funny sound, freezes, choppy etc, spent days with their support techs and forum.

DScaler worked right off the bat and has ever since.

I used it today just to watch some old VHS tapes, I don’t have a VCR hooked up to my TV any more (all DVD now) and I have a 24” monitor. The stuff looked great.

And like I said the best thing is it’s free!

Mike

This looks like some useful info. I'll have to take a look at DScaler to see how it works. I need to someday get back around to converting tapes to Digital anyway.

--

"If to err is human, then I must be some kind of human!" -Me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back