Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Premature next record

Status
Not open for further replies.

zapzip

Technical User
Jun 19, 2007
US
Hello-
I have a form with several subforms. The subforms allow for entering more than one record. The problem is that as soon as a record input is started the next record is also shown (with all defaults shown). This is confusing to my users.

Is there a way to suppress the Next reord displays.

It is not possible to switch off Allow Additions in the middle of adding a record. You can set AllowAdditions for the subform to false, and provide an "add record" button that inserts a new record via code.

There are advantages and disadvantages to this, your users will not be confused with an extra line, but they will not be able to cancel the new record once it has been created. You could use an unbound form for adding a record, where the user fills in all the details and can cancel at any time up until the add record button is clicked. An unbound form is also useful for validating data befor it is inserted.

If you just wish to make it clear to the user that they are on line n, you can use conditional formatting to either change the appearance of the current record or to change the appearance of the 'next record line'.

Hello Remou-

Thank you for your response & suggestions. You certainly saved me a bunch of time trying to find a non existing solution.

I like the conditional formating approach & will try it.

Currently my defaulkt values may be contributing to confusing the users. I requery AfterUpdate event of a parent record. Not sure what would be a better event?

Again thanks for your suggestions. I especially appreciate the varied alternatives you outlined.

Where to requery will depend on what you are doing and why you are requerying.

You could fill in default values in an event: current, enter etc. It may even be possible to fill in some values before update if the vales are always used for blank entries.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back