Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Premature end of script headers 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bytor2000

ISP
Jan 5, 2004
US
Hello All

I am new here so I would like to thank everyone in advance for any help given.

Okay here is the problem:

I have a webserver (Red Hat 9.0 and Apache 2.04 with php 4.2.2 and MySql).
I have three websites running cgi scripts. These scripts were purchased or created by someone else. They all worked just fine. I did a package install of openwebmail (I don't know what other stuff it installed). All of my cgi scripts no longer work on any site. The scripts do work from a command line. I have been banging my head on this for hours. I have uninstalled the package and still no luck.

What could have caused Apache to stop processing the scripts?
I have tried placing a .htaccess file in the directory to tell it to execute cgi, all of the file permissions are correct, the scripts do work perfectly from the command line.

I really need help with this one.

I bet your scripts send email and are not using Net::SMTP but rather direct sendmail calls. Somehow your mail package install has screwed up your mailserver.

Thats my bet, your error logs will tell the tale.

Hello

Well unfortunately my error logs are not any help they say the same thing as the browser does.

I checked all of the httpd.conf file and everything there is good to.

I can still send and recieve email through outlook.

Still puzzled

I took a quick peek at openwebmail since I knew nothing about it. It seems that is uses SpeedyCGI as its perl interpreter. Is there any chance that you perl package got a little messed up during this install? It is the only thing I can think of that would cause all your domains to start failing at the same time.

I saw that the place of the "Alias" is important on Apache. I mean the Alias for CGI must be before the Alias for normal web page, so your httpd.conf must have the following order:

Code:
ScriptAlias /path_to_cgi/cgi-bin/ /some_path/cgi-bin/
<Directory &quot;/some_path/cgi-bin/&quot;>
    AllowOverride you-options
    Options ExecCGI
    Order allow,deny
    Allow from all
</Directory>

IMPORTANT!!! The Script-Alias line above must come before the Alias line below. Otherwise Apache will parse the lines differently.

Alias /your_pages/ /var/[URL unfurl="true"]www/your_pages/[/URL]
<Directory &quot;/var/[URL unfurl="true"]www/your_pages&quot;>[/URL]
    Options None
    AllowOverride your_options
    Order allow,deny
    Allow from all
</Directory>

Hope this help you.

Cheers.

Okay

It seems RythmAce was on target.
I reinstalled the perl rpm and all but one of my sites is back up and running. The open webmail package did screw up perl.

As far as the last site goes it is a shopping cart program from 2checkout. I was just waiting for the new year to replace that script with oscommerce. So even though the site is down at the moment I will upgrade it in the near future.

Thank you for all of your help.

Thanks for the star. I dig 'm. It's kinda like sayin' sick 'm to a bull dog.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back