Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Preloaders not working!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Q1475

Technical User
Mar 19, 2008
US
Why are my loading bars not working?

I am working in Flash CS3 and have actionscript 2.0 code in my files.

The problem I am having is when I open my site I go to my portfolio section and when I click on a button, say perhaps the "Direct Mail" I don't see anything for awhile and the button seems dead. Then after a awhile the gallery appears. The panel for the buttons for "Direct Mail" is supposed to slide down over the "Portfolio" buttons. It sometimes just pops up instead. The "Direct Mail" gallery is an external swf file that I made. All of the portfolio galleries are made up of individual swf files that are loaded along with the main site on the server.

Okay, so here is my code for my preloaders:
Code:
 if (getBytesLoaded() > 4 && getBytesLoaded() == getBytesTotal()) {
        gotoAndPlay("intro");
} else {
        pct = Math.round(getBytesLoaded() / getBytesTotal() * 100);
        // this is for the visual indicator movieclip:
        loading_mc.gotoAndStop(pct);
}

I found this in a tutorial I found doing a search for preloaders.

This is how I made my preloaders, but I created my own design and just followed the other directions.
I hope someone can help me, the site is live now and my boss will be upset if I don't get this fixed soon!

I have this same loader in my other swf files and they work. It is only in the portfolio gallery swf's where the preloaders are not working. How can I send you one of the swf files?

Do you think it may be a problem with the other computers not having the latest version of flash player? I seem have viewed the site several times now on my computer and had it open for a bit using both Firefox and Explorer and the site seems to be working fine now. But my boss and others seem to be having problems with the galleries not appearing fast enough. I too had this problem when I first viewed the site.

Okay, looks like the preloaders work but only after you click on the button and go through a 2 second delay and then go back and click on it again. ( you have to click twice though because I used movie loader components I haven't figured a way to disable the movie loader to make it disappear. If you click it another time though the button will work.

So, the first time you wait a couple seconds, the panel pops open as opposed to smoothly slide down. Then you can click on another one, and go through the same process. Go back and click on the previous button again and you can see the loader working for about a milasecond to the right before the text shows up then the movie starts smoothly and the panel slides down and the text on the right is visible.

How can I prevent the external swf movies to pop up. Why don't the loaders work right away and then play the movie smoothly.

What am I doing wrong here?

Can anyone help me without seeing the flash file?

Maybe I have to use a different pre-loader method. I am willing to learn some other way to avoid this 2 second delay and pop up madness that I am getting every time I open it on a slow computer that may not have the fastest internet service or latest flash player. I want this site to work correctly on all computers.

Hello, Please help!

Please read the above plea!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back