Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

preloader problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

petermidi

Technical User
May 24, 2006
GB
Hi there,
I'd really appreciate some help here if someone's got time...
My swf is now behaving perfectly in every way but one...the preloader doesn't appear until all the movie has loaded.
And I've tried publishing 'top down' and 'bottom up' but to no avail.
Is there a trick to this?
The preloaded was taken from a template at
and the script is a build on 'ifFrameLoaded ("s1") {
x = 1;
play ();
}
etc
Can anyone help?
Do I need to somehow specify to flash to start playing BEFORE everything has loaded?
Thanks again,
Petr

Very old script and ifFrameLoaded is now deprecated...

Are you using components, attached movie clips and/or attached soundObjects, and/or setting up new fonts in the Library, anywhere in your movie?

If so, some of the above might be the cause of your preloader problems... See this...

An for a better preloading script, check this...

Regards. Web Hosting - Web Design
03/13/05 -> OLDNEWBIE VS FLASHKIT

Thank you - I'm just having a look at those links now.
Interestingly - I have made some progress - I have the preloader working..but I think my problem is that I have a 5MB audio file...and it's loading in the first frame.

So my challenge is going to be to find a way of doing the preloader that can be an effective'progress indicator' when 5MB of the 6MB swf is the SOUND!

Any thoughts on this issue too?

Thanks again,
Peter

Well that first link would explain that problem, since the sound is exported on the first frame...

If that sound is the only thing delaying the preloader, then you can uncheck the Export on the first frame box (but leave the Export for actionscript one checked...) and simply drag an instance of your sound on an unplayed frame, between your preloader frame(s) and the actual starting frameof your movie.

An alternative, without unchecking anything, is to use a seperate preloader only movie to preload your present movie cleared of it<s present preloader.

And a I also suggest you re-compress that sound, cause a 5MBs preload on a slow connection is murder!

Regards. Web Hosting - Web Design
03/13/05 -> OLDNEWBIE VS FLASHKIT

Thanks again - your help is GREAT!
The preloaders you gave me work on %bytes added...not just % frames so the audio file is fine!
And thanks for the thought on the audio - I'm actually trying to demo audio I've created so if I could...I'd actually like to make it BIGGER! But MX only lets me export mp3 at 160....when I'd like to do it at 192 - where Mp3s really SING!
Thanks again,
Peter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back