Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Preloader problem... 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kijori

Technical User
Jan 22, 2002
SG
The main timeline of my movie consists of just 2 frames; 1st frame is for the preloader and the 2nd is for the contents.

I viewed the Bandwidth Profiler, the first frame is 128KB and the second 10KB. When I did a Simulate Download, the preloader do not work. It will only appear around 99% of bytes downloaded.

I then reduce some movie clips from the file, bringing the first frame size down to 4KB. When I did another Simulate Download, the preloader works from start!

What gives?

If you are using the library "Progress Bar" component it will not work until it is loaded (which happens on the first frame).

Wow JT that almost looked like you knew what you were doing!

I'm not using the library ones. I created one using a movie clip.

By the way... side-track a bit. Is there a way to attach bitmaps (downloaded to the library) to a movie clip using ActionScript? Like how we attache movie clips to another movie clip using the attachMovie() function.

When I tried the Linkage thingy for a bitmap, I can't select the use for ActionScript option.

You can load JPG's and Flash files with actionscript using loadMovie(). JPG's are the only image format that can be loaded in this fashion.

I always place my preloader in a scene (1) by itself. Scene 2 being the loaded content.

Wow JT that almost looked like you knew what you were doing!

Components, attached movie clips and/or sounds with linkage set to export on the first frame, and/or setting up new fonts in the Library , will all prevent your preloader from displaying anything until all of those linked elements have in fact downloaded before the first frame is played.

One workaround is to use a new seperate preloader only movie, which will load your present movie cleared of it's own preloader.

oldnewbie -> thanks for the explanation. Now I know why the preloader movie doesn't show up until the very last second.

pixl8r -> loadMovie() works when attaching jpegs externaly right? what about loading those jpegs already imported into the Library? same loadMovie() function?

No loadMovie() would only be used for external files. Place your jpeg in a MC that can then be called to the stage using attachMovie().

I should mention that a major benefit to not including them in your movie library is significantly decreased initial load time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back