Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

preloader help

Status
Not open for further replies.

pa902

Technical User
Feb 16, 2001
US
I have a movie which is nine seperate movie instances within it-the actual movie is 1 frame on the timeline. All I need is a simple preloader. Since the movie is all combined into one frame i cant really target any frames within it. I have a tutorial for creating a preloader in a seperate scene but it pisses me off because doesn't describe things well and of course leaves out stuff which leaves me banging my head -if i do get to work i have no idea why its working. So what I need is a GOOD tutorial on preloaders -im not a stupid person but everything i read just doesnt click as to what exactly or how exactly a preloader works -for instance if I use the "if frame is loaded" action there are two variables seperated by commas and i never get why i put whatever there -like if frame is loaded (_____,_____)the first is a scene but what scene is it looking for and the second blank is a label or a frame number. But if the movie is a clip and is only one frame than what frame number am i targeting. Like I said if someone know a preloader that works on a seperate scene and will stop when the other scene is loaded that would be great-but when people do tutorials and leave out stuff or just dont explain things well it really irks me -so if someone couls help me actually UNDERSTAND the preloader i would be really grateful -thank you!

Are you testing your preloader on the web? Obviously, when testing your movie locally you won't see your preloader, unless you simulate streaming.
Usually, when you set the action of if Frame Is Loaded (scene 1, "movie end"), it works!
Scene 1 being your first scene name (or whatever other name you gave it) and "movie end" being the label set on the last frame of that scene... in this case frame 1 of scene 1.
Outside of your need for a good preloader tutorial, does it presently work for you or not?

;-) "If nothing else, I can always serve as a bad example!”

I do test it by simulating streaming -the tutorial i have has worked for me but he screws up the explanation on some steps. I know he doesnt have me label any part of the actual movie (the one im waiting for to load) Like I said though the movie is only one frame with 9 movie instances within it. Do you know of any good tutorials? If the movie is only one frame (well its 180 frames combines to one) Will flash be able to know that its fully loaded?

And you description is kind of strange to-you say that scene 1 ,movie end where scene 1 is the scene you want to load? and movie end is the label give to the last frame of that movie which in this case is scene1 frame1 -so frame 1 is my last frame? Like i said the movie is essentially 1 frame on the timeline but does flash count that as just one long frame? and will the preloader go until that whole movie clip is loaded?

Hey! Why don't you try it!

|-I
"If nothing else, I can always serve as a bad example!”

OK! One last piece of advice...

Check this out:

This is a 1.347MB 1 frame movie (mp3 sound clip) preceded by a 2 frames preloader, well actually a 15 frames preloader because there is an extra start button in there, that you could get rid of...
This one frame movie has a label of "moviend" and the preloader's first frame action is as described above, I mean in my previous reply!

You'll have to be patient, it's a big file to preload even if it's on 1 frame!

"If nothing else, I can always serve as a bad example!”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back