Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

preloader error

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArizonaRedneck

Programmer
Oct 25, 2004
US
Hello, I am trying to make a preloader and and having a little bit of trouble with it. When I test the movie, it gives me some sort of target error but if I close that window, it works fine. Online however... the loader bar just loops forever. I have put the fla file in a zip here: I could really use some help with this. This is my last obstacle before I can launch the site. Thanks in advance.

-
"Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less." Robert E. Lee

That "smooth" preloader script is the worst preloader script I have ever seen... Outside of the initial download, it's but a faked display, and the preloader always re-appears whether the file is cached or not... Very misleading!
Futhermore, if you happen to be be on MX2004, there's a note on the top of the tutorial, that clearly states that the preloader doesn't work on MX2004.
I personnaly hope it never does, and that it even stops working in MX only.

Regards. Affiliate Program - Web Hosting - Web Design
After 25,000 posts, banned on FK, but proud not to have bowed down to them!

oldnewbie, Do you have any suggestions for preloaders that work with mx 2004? I am really stuck here. Thanks for you replies.

-
"Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less." Robert E. Lee

I'm not on MX2004 qand would assume your .fla is in a MX2004 format, so I won't be able to open it.

You'd have a better chance of getting an answer if your .fla was in a MX only format, and zipped up.

You would have to save a copy of your MX2004 .fla, (using Save as...) and changing the Document type to MX only in the Save as... window.

I saved it as just a flash mx file and the error went away in the test movie, but online it is still just looping. here is the new link:

Thanks for your assistance.

-

if that were the only flash file then no, I wouldn't need the preloader. however, I am using a bunch of flash files. The background for the page is black and until the flash loads, there are big white squares where the flash will be. This looks really bad. To counter this, I figured preloaders would be the way to go. To see what I mean, go to Thanks for the help!

-

oldnewbie (TechnicalUser): I noticed that you don't like the smooth preloader script - I was trying to get a preloader script to just let my users know that the flash is preloading - that script works well (at least it seems to show the percentages etc. correctly) but instead of having a stop(); in frame two of the action, I am have the script of the preloader layer go to nextScene() when the percentage reaches > 99. For some reason it doesn't work - do you have any other simple script that I might use that would work - my preloader is a Scene in the movie before the next scene (is this a correct way of doing it or should I be loading a movie - if so any tips as I've never done that before.)
THANKS!

Thanks oldnewbie - for some reason, I tried your script too and it loads till 100% and then keep repeating itself - it doesn't seem to execute what's in if (percentage >=100) { nextScene();} for some reason - when I trace it, I see it's already loaded all the bytes but still keeps reloaded it from scratch - how do I enforce it to go to the nextScene? BTW, I'm using MX and not MX2004, so I don't know if there's a difference?

Thanks,

The link I gave you above isn't my preloader... It was created by this Flash Gordon (funny enough, is the fact that FG are the initials of my real name...), based on my own seperate preloader only movie, used to load a movie that uses components, attached movie clips and/or attached sounds, which often prevent the preloader from displaying properly...

I don't quite understand what your problem is, and thus suggest that you post a link to your .fla, zipped up, or mail it to me. You'll find an address if you hit my handle in one of my posts...

Please note, that nextScene(); is not a play action... The playhead should be moved to the next scene, but will stop on it's first frame.

Also, if the preloader uses an onEnterFrame function, it must be deleted when the movie is preloaded... Otherwise the onEnterFrame will still be active, and will keep attempting to yet again preload the movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back