Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Preferred AntiVirus Other Than Norton 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

edbytes

Programmer
Aug 29, 2001
US
I'm looking for a new antivirus program, preferably one that actually works. We (in the office) currently use norton Corporate, but as little as 3 weeks ago, I got hijacked via a webpage. I didn't even get to install anything. Anyhow, Norton found the trojan but couldn't do anything with it. I tried a couple of fixes but couldn't completely get rid of the hijack. I decided to re-image my machine and that has created all sorts of other headaches.

Norton has had similar responses to other trojans which seem to pop up via web pages. I use AVG anti-virus (free version) at home and wouldn't mind using it in the office but would just assume not spend the cash and have the same results as norton without a bit of asking first. I did a web search but the results make me wonder if the hits aren't sponsored by the AV companies.

Anyhow, anyone have any experience/suggestions? Oh, and I'd also like to avoid Mcaffee.

I've used Sophos and CA's eTrust. I like Sophos better but it is more money. No matter what AV program you use, however, it will only be as good as it updates. Just something to remember.

James P. Cottingham
-----------------------------------------
[sup]I'm number 1,229!
I'm number 1,229![/sup]

If browser hijackers are your concern, add to your antivirus rather than look for a single comprehensive AV and anti-malware utility.

Norton AV does not claim to be an antispyware, antimalware tool, but an antivirus tool. They have added a second product to handle the antimalware sides of things.

But it is hard at the moment to beat the Microsoft free Antispyware product.

Add this to your existing antivirus software.

Thanks for the suggestions.

bcastner, though the hijack is not a virus per se, it permitted a trojan. Perhaps I need to review what Norton actually deals with/handles but it would seem to me a trojan would fall under the list of virus'. Maybe my terminology is a bit out of date with virus'/spyware/malware. At any rate thank you both for the info.

That is because if you don't run any spyware protection, your pc can be hijacked by spyware programs that first deactivate your antivirus or make it so it can't find the trojan that it is going to add.

Spyware is the number one thing out there so you should be blocking / securing you workstations from both spyware / adaware / viruses and keeping them up to date.

I run Norton Corp with no issues along with CA's PestPatrol.

I don’t know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve. ~ Baggins

What you're seeing is a short coming of the "first wave" of the new Symantec product. It will identify certain pieces of apyware/adware but seems to do a bit of mislabeling (IE. calling them a trojan).

Browser hijacks, adware programs (pop ups), and the like are caused by various malware. It is possible that you were hit with a new virus prior to an update from Symantec, but the behavior you describe is associated, primarily with the latest wave of garbage to infest the web.

Follow the advice of Bcastner on this, grab the MS antispyware client, run the real time protection in conjunction with your Symantec product. Additionally, I recommend going with spyware blaster to further protect you against Active X, exploits.

Personally I'd go for Mcafee ViruScan Enterprise v8.0i which comes with a built in spyware guard.
We use it for ten's of clients (along with the Mcafee ePolicy Orchestrator) and have yet had a problem with viruses or spyware.

One of my clients is running Symantec 10.
He has the Sober.O.mm all over the place.
Virus sigs up to date.

Yeah, great product my foot.

George Walkey
Senior Geek in charge

totally agree, I've got a machine here on symantec 9. just run mcafee's stinegr and it found the lovegate virus.
Again, defs up to date with symantec
D'oh!

I just upgraded to Symantec Corp 10 (part of the annual contract) and it now has antispyware protection for the servers and clients as well as tamper settings.

What it comes down to is you need a combination of things to eliminate viruses and spyware. There is no such thing as one solution.

Norton Corp Client and each workstation set for tamper and auto protect, exchange email, and internet email. (for those users who think they are cool setting up a connection to an outside email address)
Of course the server side of Norton with all the lock down policies and settings in place for the clients.
Norton For Exchange. Rescans all email that the X-Wall server passes on to the Exchange Server after scanning with McAfee CMD Line Scanner.
CA PestPatrol client and central server running scans every day and updates once a week.
McAfee Command Line Scanner integrated into X-Wall which we use for Email Filtering.
X-Wall itself which is the big product for not letting any virus in in the first place through email and SPAM. Set to accept only emails to real addresses and along with all the SPAM blocking options and blocking of unsafe attachments and scanning all .zip files with McAfee nothing really get past it to even enter our network.
And of course USER EDUCATION and WRITTEN AND SIGNED POLICIES in place.

I am sure others run similar combination or even more things than what I listed.

I don’t know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve. ~ Baggins

I give my vote to NOD32 and ZoneAlarm (firewall/spyware blocker). SpyBot, SpySweeper and Ad-Aware for removing spyware.

NOD32 is by far the best. It picked up 37 trogans on my system that BOTH Norton and Symantec missed. PC-Cillin is also really good, and has been around for a long time (longer than Norton and Symantec, I remember using it on my AMD K6-2 333mhz, loading the program from 1.44mb floppies).

But the best of the best combo, NOD32 and ZoneAlarm, feel free to download them free and try them out. ZoneAlarm is actually freeware and gets RAVE reviews from all the top PC magazines and websites.

That's my opinion,
Kevin

Firewall - Fortinet Fortigate 60
Anti-spam - XWall
Antivirus - CA eTrust AV 7.1
Anti-spyware - eTrust PestPatrol Corporate Edition

No virii or spyware/malware in over 3 years. We have 24 users, including a couple of co-op students who think that "work" means "surf the 'net".

Cheers.

Ive had good luck with Avast ver 4.6 Home Version. Right now Im using Sygate Firewall and Ad-Aware SE with it.

Don't forget to consider changing your browser program as well. MS IE is targeted by the evil doers, I find Mozzilla Firefox a real good alternative.
My $.02

Unix IS user friendly... It's just selective about who its friends are.

I agree wholeheartedly with Firefox. ive been using it for about 2 yrs now. Much less chance of being tagged for spyware and adware. Although Ive seen a few viruses picked up thru it

My solution on W2K Pro:

Kerio personal firewall (free)
AVG Free Edition antivirus
MS Antispyware (used to use Spybot S&D on this PC).

No viruses/malware/spyware for ages on this setup as well.

John

Anyone who says "no malware on my PC for ages"
basically only surfs cartoon network

we will all eventually get one.
Personally im sick of the Symantec/Norton series letting the Sober series propagate.

Oops, my NOD32 just updated again...........

George Walkey
Senior Geek in charge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back