Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pre-Wired Patch Panels

Status
Not open for further replies.

coladmin

Instructor
Feb 5, 2003
US
i purchased some pre-wired patch panels to make it easier to to add/changes etc as we have an office in a remote location. Although my vendor has tested the patch panels and the worjked ok I am getting some strange problems. when connected to a 024 card you can only use every other port on the patch panel 1, 3, 5, 7, 9 etc. when a phone is plugged into the even pair both phones power off. on a 412 I can plug in all 12 phones but when I pulg in 1 and 2 it cycles the power on the phones briefly. i thought that it may be the power supplys so I tried new ones and I still have the same problem. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

The patch panels have an amphenol connection in the back and rj-11 jacks in the front

Thanks

The jacks on the patch-panel are not wired as "single-pair USOC". Can't really tell how they are wired from your description, but your vendor is right, it is "properly" wired up according to the specification of whatever it is; just not to what you need.

Make sure you have the ICMPP24T2 type (2 wire )

almost sounds like you have the ICMPP24T4 (4 wire)
were you would only get the phones on pairs
1 W/blue - Blue/W
3 W/Green - Green/W
5 W/Slate - Slate/W
and so on .....

Is there a part number printed on the patch panel to verify what one you do have ...can you look and see
if it only one pair connected (pins 4,5)if its 4
wire its Pins (3,4,5,6)

it is the correct part numner and pins 4,5 are wired. I have also tried a custom patch panel from Blackbox made the same way pins 4/5 wired into an amphenol in the back and I am having the same issue. its just very strange.

Hi Coladmin,

Sounds like a tough one! If you are handy with an ohmmeter or continuity tester, I'd unplug the cable from the 024 and check to see how it is wired to the actual ports on the patch panel. To do this, take a cable with an RJ11 plug on each end, cut it in half, pick one of your halves, and strip the wires so you can check the middle pair. Plug your cable into Port 1 of your patch panel.

Now hook one of your testing probes to one of the middle two wires on your homemade testing cable. Put the other probe on pin 1 of the amphenol connector (where you would normally be plugging it in to the 024). If it has no continuity, try the other half of the pair (pin 26 of the amphenol). You should have continuity to one of these pins from Port 1 on your patch panel.

Now do the same thing for the other wire on your testing cable. If your first wire tested good to pin 26 of the amphenol, this one should be to pin 1 (and vice versa).

If this is successful, do the same thing for Port 2. This is more interesting because it is where you are definitely seeing trouble. The middle pins of Port 2 should terminate on the second pair of the amphenol cable, pins 2 and 27.

If these tests are unsuccessful, then you can isolate your problem to either the cable between the 024 and the patch panel, or to the patch panel itself. Do the same tests to the amphenol connector on the patch panel. Port 1 should use pins 1 and 26, Port 2 should use pins 2 and 27, and so on. If this works, and I suspect it will because it has been tested, then I would suspect your cable.

To check your cable, ensure you have continuity from pin 1 on one end to pin 1 on the other end, pin 2 to pin 2, and so on. You may have a funny cable.

I hope this is helpful.

Roger

Thanks. I wont be able to do this until my next trip to this location. But I will let you know the results thanks for the excellent response

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back