Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pre-Wired Cat 5 in new house 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
Hello,

I'm having a brand-new house built and one thing about it that puzzles me is that instead of RJ11 cabling the builders are putting in RJ45 or Cat5 cabling. If I understood them right this is so that I can have a Home Network setup? If so how do use both the phones and the network connection at the same time?

Thanks,
fliquid
faithtrax@hotmail.com

1) I stongly urge you not to use the same port as both a phone line and an ethernet line at once, hopefully they wired at least 2 ports at each location.

2) if absolutly vital, 10/100 ethernet uses pins 1,2,3, and 6 while a phone uses 4 and 5 so custom cables COULD cary both at once, but you will hate it forever

gigabit ethernet uses all 8 pins so this trick won't work I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

The RJ designations have no direct relationship with the type of wire. The RJ designations dictate how the wire is terminated on modular jacks.

It sounds like your new home is being wired with Cat5 or better wire. Good start! To do it up right, you should have them run TWO runs of Cat5 or better wire to each outlet, and make sure all runs are home run to the equipment room/closet/garage stuctured wiring panel. By doing this, you can add whatever you need whenever to power your 'home network'.

The term home network can mean anything from the simple networks that connect over your single pair phone line (operating much like DSL, digital over an existing analog circuit) to home automation networks to high speed ethernet. Assuming you at some point want to connect telephones and computers to your wall outlets, you should have two seperate wires for those two services.

Now...if you only had one, you could have 2 phone lines on two pairs and set the other two pairs up as ethernet. If you are forced to do this (last resort), it is pretty simple to put a modular jack for phone (USOC wired) and an 8 pin modular jack for Ethernet (using pins 1 and 2 on one pair, and using pins 3 and 6 on the other pair). You could get some disturbance when the phone rings (ring voltage is generally 90+ volts AC) but I have seen many things like this running ok. However, you are in the spot to get the proper wiring in now before the walls are covered up.

You may also consider making sure you have good quality RG-6 coax at those multiuse locations as well, giving you the option for a cable modem or whatever for computer connectivity.

Hope that helps, good luck!
It is only my opinion, based on my experience and education...I am always willing to learn, educate me!
Daron J. Wilson, RCDD
daron.wilson@lhmorris.com

Thankyou all for your replies!

Too bad I wasnt able tell wether we had two runs of cat5 in the house before the dry wall went up. I only now realize that I don't. So I guess I'll have to settle for second best. Is there some kind of adapter for phone to ethernet?

Thanks for your help,
David Hayes

Well this all depends on how they terminate each end. If I had to make ethernet work over the existing wire and keep phone on as well, I would terminate the closet end on 110 blocks. At the wall jack, I would get two port faceplates and put a USOC phone jack in one wired with two pair (line 1, line 2) and I would put a data jack (568A or B) in the other port and use two pairs on pins 1 and 2, 3 and 6 as described earlier. If the wire is terminated on an 8 conductor jack, I suppose you could build some kind of adapter to break out phone and data, but I think it better and easier to do that inside the box and have two jacks on the wall.

Now back at the 110 block you would need to make jumper cables from your 'data' jacks to your switch or hub. Also you need to jumper your phone lines to all the pairs that you want to have phone service on.

Hope that helps, good luck
It is only my opinion, based on my experience and education...I am always willing to learn, educate me!
Daron J. Wilson, RCDD

I have two sets of Cat 5 (One is Cat 5 and the other is Cat 5e)wired in my new house. I want to use one (Cat 5) to carry my phone lines. How do I connect the 4 twisted pairs of wire (green, blue, orange, and brown) to the phone jack that has 6 wires (green, blue, red, black, white, and yellow)?

I have two sets of Cat 5 (One is Cat 5 and the other is Cat 5e)wired in my new house. I want to use one (Cat 5) to carry my phone lines. How do I connect the 4 twisted pairs of wire (green, blue, orange, and brown) to the phone jack that has 6 wires (green, blue, red, black, white, and yellow)?

White/blue to Green
Blue/White to Red
White/Orange to Black
Orange/White to Yellow
White/green to White
Green/White to Blue

Good Luck!!

Out of curiousity, I am rewiring my entire home, and ive figured out im running cat5 x2 to each outlet, whats cat5e for? is it better? and i would like to rewire my video cable, what kind of cable should i use(it also brings in my internet cable connection via Cox)?

You should be able to find previous discussions here regarding cat5 and cat5e. Cat5e is better quality construction and in theory will support higher bandwidth data (quick simple answer). If you are anticipating high speed data networking, put the cat5e in for data and use the cat5 for telephone. If you are going to redo the coax wiring, you should use a minimum of one RG-6 coax, at least double shielded. Were it me, I would run two RG-6's to each location, and make sure it all home runs to one central location.

Hope that helps!
Daron J. Wilson, RCDD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back