Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pre/Post processing from NT to UNIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

cweems

Technical User
Jun 14, 2001
US
OK, I'm back - Is there a way to do a pre/post process from the ARCserv NT Server to a Unix ARCserv client? What I would like to do is issue a command that would start a Unix script that would shut down an Oracle database. My backup process would have a five-minute pause to allow the shutdown, then do the backup and issue a post processing script that would restart the database. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

C Weems

cweems,

have you resolved this? we may have the same issue here. are you looking at using the pre/post command from the backup manager (gui)?

thanks.

No we didn't get a resolution. The UNIX admin is doing a manual work around. I hope you find an answer. If so let me know. thanks.

hi cweems.

if your problem is on how to start the shutdown and start scripts of your oracle database, then i may be able to give you an idea, but not with the script itself though. ;)

in your unix agent machine, find uag.cfg. i'm using brightstor for unix but am not sure if the file is there also. if it's there, then modify the ff:

-Prebackup <path/script>
-P <time>
-Postbackup <path/script>

for example, if your shutdown script is &quot;shut&quot;, and you want to set a delay of &quot;10&quot; mins. before the backup starts, and your startup script is &quot;start&quot;, and these scripts are in &quot;/oracle/scripts&quot; path, then the uag.cfg should have the ff. entries:

-Prebackup /oracle/scripts/shut
-P 10
-Postbackup /oracle/scripts/start

everytime you backup your unix agent machine, the said scripts are run, but if yu don't want to run them, then just remove them.

goodluck!
kewl

Thanks - I'll get with the Unix dmin and see if we can get it to work.

chw

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back