Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pre-N vs 802.11g

Status
Not open for further replies.

dpu

IS-IT--Management
Jan 24, 2005
US
I have an office that is right across the hall from another office broadcasting a secured pre-n wireless network. We seem to have some issues with the user that are across from the Pre-N office. We use Cisco 802.11g 1200 series AP's. Is there any known conflicts/interference with Pre-N and 802.11g? If so how did you resolve the issue?

make sure your ap is on a different channel then theirs... other then that I don't know of any conflicts

You should not have an issue as long as the APs are on different channels. Pre-N uses 2.4-5GHz for its operational ranges, and 802.11b&g both use 2.4-2.5 range. Thus the channels will help keep both companies from interfering with each other.

Quick Google as I'd heard something like this before

Source:

"However, on latest estimates the standard will not be finalised until 2008 and there have been suggestions that these draft products will not be upgradeable and, more importantly, claims that they create interference to nearby networks operating on the current 802.11g standard."

Only the truly stupid believe they know everything.
Stu.. 2004

Your link failed, can you provide your Search text? Correct, 802.11n has not been standardized as you qutoe mentions. Hence the pre-n Versions that are availabe today. It was my understanding that pre-n and 802.11a/b/g were compatible at the moment. I do not recall exactly the data sheet I read on this, I will see if I can find it again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back