Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pre-authorization

Status
Not open for further replies.

alohaakamai3

IS-IT--Management
Aug 11, 2006
US
Someone called complaining that when we swiped their credit card to take a tab (and they later paid cash), that it still put a authorization hold on their account. It was on Aloha 5.3.x.

I did find a setting under TENDERS >> PAYMENTS >> VISA, then about 3 tabs down under authorization... that said "Allow Pre-authorization with EDC".

The reason that I question whether or not this is the proper setting is because it was only check on AMEX, and I don't think this was the card that was used.

Does anyone know where this setting is?

Thanks.

check under store settings \ EDC. Make sure your assume tip% is set to 0. The processors take care of this now.

I'm sorry I didn't read that they later paid cash. check store settings EDC for any preauthorization check marks and turn them off.

Thanks Restguy.

Yeah, I checked there too. The second tab of Credit Card under store settings has an Authorization tab that mentions something about pre-auth an it's not checked. Nor is the one I mentioned before under the Tenders (which makes more sense to me personally that it would be this one).

I'm out of ideas. If anyone can think of anything else, please let me know.

I would leave it alone... the point of taking a credit card to start a tab is to verify that the card is good... the only way to do that is to run an authorization (our system does 25.00) The solution is training your staff to inform the customer that this auth will be done and they can decide if they want to do that or pay cash as they go.

Hi,
The pre-auth will stay there for a period decided by the card issuer. There is nothing you can do about it. It is a common complaint. It will eventually drop off.

The check box under pre-auth in store settings does not need to be checked. If there any amounts in that same screen it will pre-auth that amount. If you want no pre-auth you would have to take out whatever dollar amount is there.

Posknowitall-

You're saying that if set that amount to be zero, it won't pre-auth at all?

azrobert- I agree with, this is the only complaint they've had about, I personally don't think they should change it either. I was just going to let them know whether it could be done, and make sure they fully understand the reprecussions, and why it should be left on.

It won't do an auto pre-auth at all. The server should still be able to perform a user defined pre-auth as long as "allow pre-auth" is set up in the Maintenance--tenders.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back