Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PPTP VPN over o2 gprs

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamiewb

IS-IT--Management
Jun 13, 2003
GB
We have a PPTP VPN set up which runs successfully over dial-up or ADSL connections in remote offices, but we are now trying to use o2 GPRS (Mobile Web) and upon connection to the VPN we receive error 721, "the remote computer did not respond" every time.

As the VPN is working successfully over ADSL/Dial-up I'm assuming our Watchguard Soho firewall isn't an issue (it is configured to allow PPTP in both directions).

o2 can't give me any help, does anyone have any ideas?

Yes, sounds very familiar. We're also using 02 - not sure which tariff etc.
I managed to get it to work - probably more luck than skill. I'm not sure what solved the problem eventually. There were a few similar problems noted on the Web and the two main solutions mentioned are as follows:
1. On the VPN server, ensure that the binding order of the network cards are as follows: The external card (connected to the Internet) is above the Internal card (local lan).
2. Try turning off compression on the GPRS modem - sometimes affects connections.

Try this and see how you get on.

Has anyones 02 gprs suddnely gone belly up over the last few weeks.

We have several users using o2 gprs to different watchguards products, using different gprs cards.

We are now getting error 800 95% of the time.Worked fine for months.

If we tweak & connect somewhere else then back maybe its OK.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back