Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PPTP,RAS,VPN connection error 619

Status
Not open for further replies.

tgilmore

Technical User
Jan 2, 2001
US
Hello! I am able to connect to my router and log in fine. When I try to log in to the VPN I receive the error 619, specified port unable to connect. I have restarted, checked the modem etc. but no luck. I have searched the Internet and found nothing but the error codes. Nothing will tell me how to fix this problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you in advance.
Tracy

619 is caused by the server you are trying to connect to. This is not a local problem.

This isn't always a problem at the server end (and in your case I suspect it IS on you local PC that's causing this issue. If you use an ISP they may not support secure passwords for PPTP to your VPN or it could be your settings. I find the best way to sort this is just to re-add the connection on you PC.

If someone else uses this connection as well, check their settings and match them to yours if they use the same dial in way.

Error 619 does not automatically mean it is a fault at the server end.

The problem most likely is secure vs. unsecured password. That one bugged me for a long time. Try playing with the settings some...if you have any more questions, just ask. Please let us (Tek-Tips members) know if the solutions I provide are helpful to you. Not only do my posts help you but they may help others.

Mike Wills
RPG Programmer

"I am bad at math because God forgot to include math.h into my programming!"

Hello. To fix this problem all I had to do is reapply the service pack. Sorry it took me so long to respond! Hope you have a great day!
tgilmore

tgilmore,

Did you reinstall the sp on the server? Also, how was your remote setup? Were you behind a cable router at home?

Thanks for the info,
Eric

Yes.. My network is behind Linksys BEFW11S4 router. I have enabled the PPTP and also forwarded the ports 47 (GRE) and 1723 (TCP). I still get this error. But if I connect directly from my cable modem, I can connect to my VPN Server at office without any problems.. Thanking you in advance.

Abhi...
India

I have read the blurbs below and can not get my VPN client to work. I have installed, and reinstalled both Service Pack2 and all available Security Updates, not once but twice. I have installed and blotto'd out my VPN client several times.

I have a laptop w/ the same service packs and updates, hanging off of the same home network that can connect 100%. I have both PC and laptop set-up identically, yet the PC can not connect. I have other coworkers that can connect to the VPN server w/ w2k,xe,me.

I must have encryption enabled and PPtP enabled. other than that it is default defautl defautl...

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hello,

I have recently configured a computer running Windows 2000 for home use for one of my colleagues. The user is required to dial up to our corporate network to gain access to resources on the LAN. i.e. email, database, folders and files.

I create a new connection in the Network and Dial-up Connections application in control panel and configure it with the settings required to access our server. i.e. the correct telephone number to dial, protocols to use etc. When I try to use the new connection the modem dials, verifies user and password and then disconnects with the following error: "Error 619 - The specified port is not connected"

I have tried to create the same dial up on my laptop which is also Windows 2000 and it works fine.

Any ideas ?

Update your firmware on the Linksys router from linksys.com

I have a similar problem. I have a NT4 Server with SP6a on it and i have enable Remote Access Server and have setup two VPNs to connect via TCP/IP. Before i let people use the connections i thought of testing it and i am using a Win2K machine with a VPN connection setup. When i run the VPN connection on Win2K, it find the server, and even authenticates, but after that i get an error saying Error 619: The specified port is not connected. What can be the problem.

The WinNT server is connected to the internet and the Win2K destop is also connected to the internet within the same domain and they only have a switch between them (no firewalls between the test win2k machine and the nt4 server)

rishi

The following is a server side fix for this issue.

Having this problem myself. Or rather, I should say, my users are having this problem. Check out this Q-article from microsoft's knowledgebase:(
Article ID: Q227747

note: the remote employee's that are getting this message are connecting via cable modems, dial up users are NOT having any issues.

Using the command line netsh.exe solution seems to have fixed the problem for MOST users. There are still some issues with a couple. Im wondering if it's a DNS issue on the remote machines (maybe host files, dns cache, etc)

I am getting the same error message - but combined with errors 2250, 6 and 31. I am sure it is a server issue as I can connect to my other RAS servers with no issue. I am just doing this for dial up purposes. Q227747 didn't solve my issue.

Any bright ideas?

Hi,

I have a user dialing in with a DellC610 laptop running Windows 2000 SP2 and she is getting the 619 error. I have checked our Security logs and it's not showing her even hitting the server. She is just dialing in from a residence about 200 miles away, not behind a router or attempting to launch VPN. She has no problems when she dials in locally.

Any suggestions????? I have went through all of her settings within her dialup networking and matched them to mine.

Thanks

I wrestled with this same problem for an entire day. Much to my embarrassment, the problem turned out to be the "Client Real time Virus Scanning" feature of the Norton Antivirus Corporate edition. With this feature diabled, the problem went away.

Hope this helps.

Was the Norton option on the client or the server? I am experiencing a similiar problem, which I'm thinking is partially firewall-related. It's a WinNT4/Sp6a server running RAS. A local Win2K server can create a successful VPN connection, but I cannot with a Win2K Pro at home. It hangs on the verifying username and password stage and I ultimately get:

Error 619: The specified port is not connected.

The more info button on my computer suggests "Restart your computer to make sure all recent configuration changes have taken effect." I have done that many times, of course. =)

I have asked for the firewall to pass traffic to/from TCP 1723 and allow the GRE protocol. While I cannot see the firewall logs, they are telling me that nothing is being dropped.

Q227747 didn't help, but it links to Q314485. This states that if XPpro is joined to a domain, but missing from AD you will get error 619 or 645 when trying to RAS\VPN.

I have had a similar problem as has been previously described. I have Windows XP Pro and often have problems connecting to the VPN on my Windows NT4 sp6a Server. Occasionally it will connect. Sometimes, multiple times in a row. However, it will eventually quit connecting and simply give me error 619 after attempting to verify the username and password. It will typically take a few days or weeks before it will work again and then all of a sudden it will work for a while and then the process will repeat. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!

i get the same problem,but only after i try to reconnect i get a 619 error message.after a reboot i can reconnect again.i tried everthing .i had this program called modem booster that i used for a couple of months and then disabled it ,after seeing it on my computer i enabled it and it will let me redial and connect again.if i use this modem booster first ,i can then use the xp dialer and it will let me connect and disconnect with out any problems .

Just a little help for those with Error 619. An employee that works with me had this problem. He had Cable Modem connected to the VPN. All of a sudden, no connection to VPN. It turns out that it was his cable modem. He was unable to ping or tracert to any location. But he still had access to web and email. Once the tech (after several months of calling tech support) replaced the modem for giggles, it worked fine. He now can ping, tracert, and connect to the office VPN.

In other words...Check your NIC/Cable Modem. It may be the root of all of this confusion!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back