Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PPT xp saved as a pps for users w/o ppt xp

Status
Not open for further replies.

pe

Technical User
Aug 8, 2001
US
I just created a 50mb slide show to music in powerpt xp (2002). I now have to burn to a CD for people without xp so i saved it as a pps and tried to play it on a machine with office 2000. The music was gone and the animations were different.

I then downloaded the ppt viewer from the microsoft website and tried it with the same results. I also saved as an HTML and tried to watch it in explorer 5.5. It works and has music but doesn't play continuously. it just plays the first slide and sits there.

Can you help me? i need a way that other people can watch this that only have office 97. thanks

First, make sure you embedded those sound files.

Second, if you have graphics, save the file to a new name. Then, cut each graphic and hit Edit-Paste special-As a picture. Do approximately 1/4th of the slides, save it, and see if the file size reduces. 50MB is huge.

Third, hit File-Pack and Go. This procedure (see the help file) creates what you need. Check it out.
techsupportgirl@home.com
Brainbench MVP for Microsoft Word

How do I know if the sound files are embedded or linked? I've cut and pasted 1/2 as pictures (they were objects) and the files is getting bigger? Also, is there a way to cut/paste and save the special effects i've put on each one? When I do a pack and go it keeps asking me to download the viewer which i've done alreay. It won't let me include the viewer, the option is grayed out.

Thanks for the help

If you move the sound files (temporarily put them in your recycle bin if you want), the music won't play unless they're embedded.

Go to Tools-Options, General tab. Check the size of embedded sound files there.

Many pictures are NOT pasted/imported in the best format; looks like yours were.

If you can, just download the viewer again, or see if you can get it to just go to your C drive to "download" it.

techsupportgirl@home.com
Brainbench MVP for Microsoft Word

thanks. I downloaded it again, and tried it from my C drive but it still won't enable that command. very frustrating. Thanks for info on sound. I'm getting ready to call microsoft because I really have to burn this to a cd etc. thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back