Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PPPoE losses connection randomly - Linksys / Speedstream

Status
Not open for further replies.

gorlosky

Technical User
Nov 2, 2002
US
I have read many threads but can not find my answer.
I have SBC's SpeedStream 5360 P/N 060-5360-123 attached to a Linksys Router BEFSR11 - Firemware 1.427, with a WIN2K Pro.
The connection with the SpeedStream modem is fine using EtherNet 300. I have connected the Linksys Router (not using Ethernet300, but the PPPoE in the firmware) and had it work, BUT I find that if I leave the system idle OR shut down just the Computer over night OR right in the middle of a session, sometimes, the connection to the Internet is not active. I go to the router page - 192.168.1.1 and find my setting for PPPoE UN selected and the info of user and paswword blank. I go through the process of reseting and it mostly stays for the rest of the active session, but definitely not if after a Computer shutdown over night. The Linksys Router with a Cisco 677 DSL modem ran fine back in Rochester, NY using Frontier DSL for many months.
Is this a Router issue of some settings failing to be "burnt in". Am I not doing something special after I select APPLY?

I am encountering a similar issue with the following:
Speedstream 5630 Modem, Belkin "4 Port" router, SBC Houston S Wayside area. Per the system is at 12960 feet from central office and the carrier is CORVAD In my case the router references the information, username / password correctly but the connection seems to come and go.

I started having a similar problem over the weekend. I am speculating that it is capacity issue with SBC and once you are disconnected you cannot get back on.

I submitted it to Linksys to see if they can do anything.

I have one question though, I have my router set to drop after 120 seconds of no activity which means I might be aggravating the problem. I did this for security reasons so that the IP keeps changing before anyone can zero in!

How do you have yours configured?

Thanks for the information on the Ethernet 300 working.

I would take out the idle timeout and just use a firewall. John D. Saucier
jsauce@magicguild.com
Certified Technician
Network Administrator

Actually, I removed the timeout on 12/12 and I have not had any problems since. However, I have also noticed that the response time has been much improved since 12/12. I have also been told by another souce that PacBell had an outage 12/9-12/11.

So I am keeping my fingers crossed that the problem has gone away. Of course, this does not resolve the issue of poor customer service response by SBC in the matter either to better help resolve the problem and/or inform me of the outage.

I'm encountering the same problem (disconnects with problems reconnecting), except I'm using the Linksys BEFW11S4 (4-port wireless). It's SBC/SNET DSL. I've got the Speedstream P/N:5360-503 S/N: 5360-123. I'm going to try to update the Linksys firmware to see if that helps. Has anyone achieved a successful configuration with this equipment?

I had the same problem between a pix and cisco router 806 with Adsl (Dialer interface) with dynamic crypto map.

The dialer disconnect when the isp change the ip adress (dynamic). The crypto isamp take too much time to reconnect, if reconnected.

The solution was to set keepalive 1 (one second) to the dialer interface.

I have the same problem with my DSL connection. I have SpeedStream modem 5360-123., and I do not have a router. So it is not a router issue. it is either the modem or the servis that sucks.
Let me know if you have any luck with this problem.
Technical servis of SBN/SNET is of no use. By-the-way where do they take these guys from? Directly from high-schools?

I once fixed this same problem by shortening up the phone cord that was running from the wall to the modem.

Not likely your problem... but it does make a difference.

-Rob

hey guys i dont know if this helps but after sorting out my conection all seemed well that was until i put the latest zone alarm fire wall on my sys and then i too lost my user name and password for conecting so i went back the one before and again all is well.... atb

According to Microsoft, this is the Efficient Speedstream 060-5360-123 conflicting with your router, both trying to use DHCP or NAT, and interfering with each other. I'm having the problem, too...the fix is to turn off DHCP/NAT on your broadband modem, but I don't have the software for the modem installed anymore...and I can't find it on Efficient, Siemens, or SBC Yahoo DSL's sites!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back