Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PPPoE Error

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomte

Technical User
Nov 14, 2002
US
We have a computer that had a hard drive crash. The drive was restored to a new drive and most everything functions as expected except the PPPoE connection no longer functions and gives a 720 Error. The ethernet card functions, I plugged it into a hub and it DHCP'd and was able to access the internet. I removed and reinstalled ZoneAlarm, and the antivirus. (these had been corrupted in the crash) I have done the MS registry hack to remove the wan miniport IP connection and have repaired IP and Winsock several times. Giving up on the MS PPPoE, I removed the connection and tried a 3rd party (RASPPPoE) with the same results. I am loath to reinstall XP and wondering if any one else has suggestion.

Thanks htmlman,

I have been through all the Microsoft technet, knowledge base and msdn articles I can find about both the 720 error and mini port drivers. My suspicion is that somehow there is either a registry corruption or a corruption on a linked file that was corrupted during the crash. The fact that even a 3rd party PPPoE package failed makes me think that something is preventing PPP from finding the ethernet card.

I have removed the card and driver and reinstalled with the same failure. The NIC card works fine when connected to a standard network so it is not the NIC. Looking for someone who has delved into the mysteries of PPPoE and might be able to shed some light. Again I have run the netsh commands to repair/restore the IP stack.

I added IPX/SPX early on in the troubleshooting process as an attempt to correct the protocols. Since IP is required by XP now, I could not remove the IP stack but I did use the netsh util to restore it to installation state.

I work for a Telco ISP and I get calls from the outside techs when thay have a DSL trouble thay can't get working and I have found the winsockfix.exe program to work when the netsh did not. I have only had on PC Win 2000 Pro that I could not get to work but the pc had been and 98Se that the some kid had load 2000 Pro on and it would not boot to safe mode. So I removed the Speedsteam 5200 witch was modem only and installed a Speedstream 5660 modem router and did not need the PPPoE. You could get a cheep router and us it for the logon, Then you would also have hardware fire wall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back