Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PPP vs HDLC 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

hliu

IS-IT--Management
Jul 25, 2006
US
Can someone confirm a few points for me:

Recently I failed a CCNA test (2nd attempt, 1st one was 2 years ago and I stupidly stopped, and restarted all my studies a few months back).

One question I had was to do with PPP and HDLC, one of the options I wasn't sure was: is HDLC simpler to configure than PPP? I guess it must be because it is (a) the default, and (b) no authentication?

Another question was to do with STP - one switch was connected to another via a hub - does that make any difference at all? Again I guess that it doesn't, but it threw me a bit.

A third question was to do how a switch/router went into the Setup mode. I know that you can type Setup to run setup, or there is no configuration. But anything else cause this to happen (e.g. bad NVRAM)?

Many thanks.

Well HDLC is Cisco propriatory and PPP works on other routers. Nothing required to setup HDLC as it is default were you need to set encap on interface to make it PPP.

If the config register was set to password recovery it would ignore the startup config and probably go into setup mode.

Hi,

To clafify, I dont believe HDLC is a cisco propriatory protocol, its just the version of HDLC cisco impliment is Cisco Propriatory.....

Lee.

LEEroy
MCNE6,CCNP,CWNA,CCSA,Project+

leedsit,

Good point !

I have seen a question along that line that you are trying to connect to a non-Cisco router with HDLC and the point was that both had HDLC but Cisco HDLC is different then HP HDLC or any other "Non-Cisco" router!

Just a thought!

E.A. Broda
CCNA, CCDA, CCAI, Network +

Regarding the 2 switches connected via a hub, it depends, if you have only one path between the switches, i mean a SW1-----hub-----SW2 not problems, but if SW1=====hub======SW2 (two paths) then it can go on loop, int htat case you will need STP.
Hope it helps

Niltinho
BEng,CCNA,MCSA,CNA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back