Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PPP Multilink question

Status
Not open for further replies.

labgrl76

IS-IT--Management
Dec 2, 2005
US
Hi all,

Been awhile and I gotta question on configuring multiple serial links from within a lab environment. Basically I'm looking to hook up 2 serial crossover cables from one router to another in order to increase bandwidth. I've researched the web on this and have come up with a slew of configurations but nothing that applies to a lab configuration. I'm running 2 serial interfaces on each router. What I am wondering is what type of configuration would apply to this environment. I've tried it and the interfaces kept flapping on me. So far I've removed the ppp multilink command from all serial interfaces and am just running PPP for now. I appreciate any advice on this.

Are these DB60 serial interfaces? Are these T1 wics back to back?

Actually, yes they are the 60 pin DCE/DTE cables I am looking to employ. Thanks btw Joamon

Did you remember to set the clock rate on the DCE side?

Yep I set it on both interfaces connected to the dce side of the cables.

only other thing I can think is did you set the encapsulation on the serial interfaces to PPP instead of the default HDLC? If you did could you post the configs and I will take a look.

Yeah, I set encapsulation PPP on both routers. I'm not sure if I need to enter the ppp multilink on just the two DCE ends or on all ends DCE -- DTE I will post the copy of my configs when I get a chance. Thanks.

See if this helps.....
Sample of our T1 multilink..you will need clock-rate instead of T1 clock source and also need ppp on all serial interfaces.

interface Multilink1
description connected to remote
ip address 10.10.10.1 255.255.255.252
ppp multilink
ppp multilink fragment disable
ppp multilink group 1

interface Serial0/0
description multilink 1 interface
no ip address
encapsulation ppp
no keepalive
no fair-queue
service-module t1 clock source internal
ppp multilink
ppp multilink group 1

interface Serial0/1
description multilink 1 interface
no ip address
encapsulation ppp
no keepalive
no fair-queue
service-module t1 clock source internal
ppp multilink
ppp multilink group 1

Thanks! i will give this a shot. As far as the other router on the DTE side, would I apply this same config with a different IP? (minus the clock rate commands ofcourse)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back