Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ppm won't install Spreadsheet-Read 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

max1x

Programmer
Jan 12, 2005
US
I'm trying to install Spreadsheet-Read, but keep on getting the following error message:

ppm> install Spreadsheet-Read
Error: no suitable implementation found for 'Spreadsheet-ParseExcel'.

So I tried to install Spreadsheet-ParseExcel first and that won't work either.

ppm> install Spreadsheet-ParseExcel
Error: no suitable installation target found for package Spreadsheet-ParseExcel.

So I manually crated the Spreadsheet folder in the following dir and still the same issue.

Installing C:\Perl\html\site\lib\Spreadsheet
Installing C:\Perl\site\lib\Spreadsheet

I'm running ActivePerl5.8.8 Build 816 on Windoze 2K Pro.

check out CPAN

Code:
perl -MCPAN -e shell
cpan> install Parse::Excel

If you haven't confiugured CPAN it's ask you a lot of questions, pretend it's not a survey, most of the default answers are sensible, and if you need to change something, when in the cpan> shell

Code:
o config init
will allow you to do it all over again.

Also worthwhile looking for new repositories to add to PPM

HTH, and have fun

Paul
------------------------------------
Spend an hour a week on CPAN, helps cure all known programming ailments ;-)

Works fine on my local 5.8.7 b815. From searching around, it looks like it's a version conflict. How new is 5.8.8? It sounds like they haven't updated their entire ppm repository yet to match it.

It looks like Spreadsheet::parseExcel is pure-perl (as is its pre-req OLE::Storage_Lite), so a more manual installation will probably work fine. Being pure-perl, I'm not sure why a minor point version increase in Perl would break compatibility with older packages, but I don't know that much about ppm.

Best bet is to set up cpan like Paul said. You may have to manually download and install nmake.exe first if you don't have a MS development environment already.

- Andrew
Text::Highlight - A language-neutral syntax highlighting module in Perl
also on SourceForge including demo

Thx Paul, a follow up question:

All the dependencies realted to Spreahseet::Read are now in C:\perl\cpan\build..., but I get this error message for all the dependencies:

Running make test
Can't test without successful make
Running make install
make had returned bad status, install seems impossible

Any suggestions?

I was able to do a seach and found all the modules on the rep, but when I do install 1-25 (|| even individually, it still spits out errors)...

Also, I loaded more rep to the PPM and with the exception of TheoryX5, all of them time out.

Thanks Paul & icrf for your help on this.

I was finally able to install the all the necessary modules today and after some maunal manipulation, was able to read the .xls file(s). Following is basically what I did:

From CPAN installed the necessary modules, all of these were place in \cpan\build, with make and nmake errors during install.

I then tried to install all Spreadsheet related modules via ppm. ParseExcel.pm finally went through, but some other's didn't. All the missing files (.pm), I can copied from cpan\build to the Spreadsheet folder. Ran a test script and no complains so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back