Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PowerVault 120T DLT7000 "E" - Drive Hndl error 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

SamBvr

Technical User
Feb 10, 2006
US
I'm new to all this coming from Field Service to Tech Services. I got the "Backups" job using Arcserve 9. The loader was failing POST for the tape drive, so the tape drive was changed. Now I get the subject error. Here is the scenario:
Load tapes, starts inventory, "E-drive hndl error" displayed. I push the Mode button until it gets to LDR Ready, the E goes away, then it starts Calibrating in about 15 seconds, all is well until the next tape is loaded. I have received an E6092 error. It will feed and erase a tape, but the E is displayed with Calibrate and the Red alert light flashes the entire time. The loader is on a PE2550 with a Compaq 35/70 DLT LDRV interfaced with the loader.
This just popped up on the console screen.
Auto-Loading Module CANWPA.CDM [ OK ]
0x0001: [V024-A0-D1:0] Legacy Floppy
FLOPPY]
0x0006: [V312-A1-D3:0] DEC TZ89 (C) DEC296 [TAPE]
0x0007: [V025-A2-D0:0] SAMSUNG CD-ROM SN-124 q009 [CD]
0x0008: [V371-A3-D0:0] PERC LD0 RAID5 04034R rev:161N [HDD]
2-13-2006 10:14:44 am: AHA2940-8.31-0
INFORMATIONAL: Host adapter hardware error {414020A2}

Loading Module APROCESS.NLM [ OK ]
CORR_MIS_FS2:

I hope this makes sense, thank you in advance ~ Sam

Part II - A friend of mine noticed that the tape drive is being seen as a DEC drive, not Compaq; could this be the problem?

I don't have a solution to your issue, but HP/Compaq owns DEC, so I wouldn't see this as a problem.

I checked the CA page for compatible drives, the drive is listed as: Compaq/DEC TZ89 DLT E21V 35-70 GB, but does not have the footnote the drive is certified within an Autoloader. Could this be a firmware issue the table shows E21V as the firmware, if so what are the procedures to load the firmware or to see what version of FW is on the server now?

Thank you for the information, I spoke with tech from HP help center, and the DEC drive is not the issue, it's a high voltage drive and is okay in this configuration. It looks like it is an Arcserve issue not discovering the different/new drive. I may move this over to the Arcserve forum.

---- No longer an issue in this forum -----

Hello.

Even knowing that you post this msg on ArcServer Forum I will try to help you.

First of all

1) When you boot the server/tape device the system recognizes the tape/scsi on post screen ?

If no ... maybe you have a scsi problem

if yes ... please go to the second step.

2) Check on Windows 2000/NT if the system recognizes the tape devices ( device manager - w2000 or tape devices - wnt )

if no ... you need to update the system drivers.

if yes ... and the system is recognizing the correct tape device model please go to step 3

3) Check if ARC Server can recognize the tape drivers correctly.

if no ... please update ARC Server drivers.

if yes .... please go to step 4

4) If everything is working fine and when you run an inventory you recieve an error msg please

a) Try to run a cleanning job using a brand new cleanning tape.

b) Try to use a brand new tape

if you keep recieving the same error....

call you vendor ( dell ) ... and ask them to check your hardware.

Please feel free to contact me if you need anything else on this case.

Thanks
Nelson Gomes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back