Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Powerpt-link slide from one ppt file to another

Status
Not open for further replies.

technomama

Technical User
Mar 11, 2002
US
I have two presentations (PowerPoint2000): a master.ppt
and links.ppt.
The links.ppt file has three slides. Each slide contains
a bar chart created using MS Graph. The bar chart is the
only object on each slide.

I want to link slide number 2 from links.ppt to a slide in
master.ppt such that if I change slide 2 in links.ppt it
will automatically change in master.ppt. I do not want to
see a hyperlink in the master.ppt file. I want to see the
bar chart object from slide number 2 in links.ppt.

I am trying to work on a file which originated in
powerpoint97 that has this setup and don't know how it was
done. If I view the actual link, it shows the link as
C:\mydocuments\links.ppt!257!Object1.

I already tried this. Didn't work because it just displays a hyperlink, not the bar chart itself.

grumble..grumble..curse...

LOL

Okay. Do this then. Recreate your chart (copy the data) in Excel. Then copy, paste special, paste link. Do this to both presentations.

To update both presentations, update the Excel file.

Sorry...PPT2K went weird on us, I swear.

This was done in the past successfully by someone else inside of ppt. If you select insert//object, create from file and link it, it will put the first slide in. But, on the ppt file that works, if you edit the link, it displays the path as c:\mydocuments\master.ppt!1!object1 Where !1! refs slide 1 and object1 refs the chart.

Right. I got ya. So copy that object, then edit the link to be your file, slide, object. You can find out the object number by selecting it and hitting Custom animation...

The problem is, I don't know how to get the link to reference the file,slide,object. When I create the link, it just displays the name of the file, nothinge else. How do I put a link in which will display a specific file, specific slide number, specific object on that slide? Help me Obie One.

sorry,:-( I can't e-mail you the file that works. I appreciate all your help!

In your slide from where you want to switch, insert an object, preferably an auto shape. If you don't want to see it, make the fill colour and the line the same colour as the background BUT remember where it is or you will not be able to see it during your presentation.

Now, with the object selected, insert hyperlink and show the path to your next presentation. Click OK. Now run your screen show. When you arrive at the slide with the hyperlink on it, hovering your mouse over the place where you put the object, will show the link and clicking it will open the file and run the slide show in that presentation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back