Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

powerpoint slide show won't embed mp3 files 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

simplefahmah

Technical User
May 27, 2004
US
I’ve finally completed a Power Point slide show of our trip through the Southwest. It has
music and everything. I plan to make CD Rom’s and send to selected family and friends.
I’m having a bit of trouble with this last part. I embedded the (6) music files (which are in
.wav format, each one about 30-40 mb) into the PPP. This increased the size of the PPP
from 64 mb (soundless version) to about 260 mb (sound version).
The CD worked fine on my computer which has 1GB of ram, but when I played it on my
wife’s computer, it balked and said there wasn’t enough virtual memory. Her RAM is 512 mb. I could adjust the virtual memory on her machine to make it work, but I don’t want my general audience to be faced with this problem.
So I took my music files and reformatted them into .mp3 formats, which reduced their
individual sizes by an order of magnitude, to the 2-3 mb range. However, when I tried to
embed these files in my PPP, I couldn’t. They were linked to their parent file on my C
drive and try as I might, I couldn’t embed them into my PPP. I checked my power point
-tools/options tab, which I've set at "link sounds > 50,000 kb", so they should embed rather than link.

This problem doesn’t arise when I try to embed the music as .wav files. They are sucked
right into the PPP, no problem, but as I mentioned, they make for an obese PPP.
So my first question: Is there a reason that .mp3 files won’t embed in Power Point? Can I overcome this?

I came up with a different approach, but it has problems too:
I could burn my music into a folder (say, "/music") on the CD along with the PPP and
link to these files in my slide show, but therein lies another glitch: If I link the music on
the CD Rom to the PPP, the location of the file will be identified as residing in E:/music,
since my E drive is my CD burner/player. But for some people, their CD player is named
"D" or "F". So if PPP looks for the music clips in E:/music on someone’s machine which is
playing the disk in drive D, they won’t find it.

Is there a way to reference the location of the music file so that all machines look in the
same drive that the parent PPP is playing from, regardless of the designation of CD drive?

Bottom line --

PowerPoint NEVER, EVER embeds MP3 file. You are best off copying the mps to the folder with the PPT file PRIOR to "inserting" it into the presntation. The link will be relative and as long as the MP3 is with the PPT, it should play. In short, keep them all in the same folder, even when burning.

PowerPoint can embed WAV files below the size liit set in the PowerPoint options dialogs.

simplefahmah,

For a more detailed explanation of why the links break see
Sounds/Movies don't play or links break when I move or email a presentation

Or if you still want to go down the (wav) route, which can be embedded.... have you thought about trying to reduce the filesize of the wav's themselves?

for example it you convert them from stereo to mono, they will be half the filesize.

Or try converting them to a different bitrate (Hz, rate etc)

Cheers
TAJ Simmons
microsoft powerpoint mvp

awesome - powerpoint backgrounds,

Problem.

I have a Power Point presentation that someone else created with some embedded sound clips. I wan't to use these sound clips in another presentation I have but I don't have the original .wav files. Is there any way to extract the embedded .wav files from the .ppt so I can use them in my new presentation?

I'd appreciate anyone's help.

Thanks,

Jason

Jason-

Kludgy solution?

I don't know how to extract embedded sounds from PowerPoint... but in a pinch you can always capture them. By that I mean... play the sounds and record them right back into your computer. In Windows you can do this by opening the Recording box (accessed from the Volume icon in the taskbar) and selecting "Wave" as the input. (It's like plugging a cable from your audio out jack into your audio in jack - without any cables!) Then, any sound you play on the computer - PowerPoint, Media Player, the Windows beeps - are legitimate input, and you can record them using Sound Recorder or any third-party recording program.

Elegant solution? Maybe someone else has one - let's hear it!

Cheers,
Michael

perseco,

if you open the pres
file menu > save as html (publish to web) or whatever it's called these days.

follow the prompts....

amongst the saved files will be some .wav files.

Done!

Cheers

TAJ Simmons
microsoft powerpoint mvp

awesome - powerpoint backgrounds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back