Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Powerpoint Not Working 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

fitfixer

Technical User
Apr 11, 2001
IE
I have a PC running Win98se and Office 2000, Powerpoint will not run, when you click on the icon it just hangs as it opens, but if you click on a PPT file it launches Powerpoint no problem!
If I were having this problem in MS Word, I would delete the Normal.dot template that Word uses at startup, Is there a default template that Powerpoint uses? and if so, would deleting it solve my problem?
Thanks for your help

Here's what I'd try, but not a method for the meek. You don't sound meek to me. :)

Programs closed.
Start-Run and type Regedit and hit enter.

Browse to:
hkey_current_user\software\microsoft\office\9.0\powerpoint

Right-click the powerpoint folder (and I'm not sure it's powerpoint completely spelled out, but I'm sure it's there), and rename it to something like oldpowerpoint. When powerpoint launches, it won't find itself in the registry and it'll re-register itself, which will hopefully take care of the problem. Anne Troy
Word and Excel Macros
Coming soon: wX

Thanks for the suggestions and links,
I found the answer to my problem in this Microsoft article;
the cause was an illegal character; the ampersand &
in a ppt filename, if this is in the recent files list them Powerpoint will not open
Thanks again Dreamboat and Geetesh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back