Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PowerPoint Large files

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gezopetes

Technical User
Sep 15, 2004
US
hello,

First of all, I am using XP, PPT 2002, and Excel 2002.

I created a ppt file with master files in it. My coworkers take the ppt file and insert various items. Usually they are fine, but I have run into one that is giving me problems. The only item being pasted into the "master file" is a few excel spreadsheets. These sheets have many formulas in them and no graphics. Our normal procedure is to go to excel select all the cells we need, then go to ppt and do a "paste special". In most of our documents, it works fine, but in this particular one it is making an enormous file size. Is there some import setings that can be changed to compress the file size?

Three things to try.

The first is to turn off the fast saves on your computer. It saves all the changes in addition to the presentation and can really bloat your PowerPoint file up a lot. Tools>Options>Save tab. Uncheck Allow Fast Saves. Microsoft says that resaving it consolidates everything together and makes the file smaller, but I've never had success with that, though you can try. I always import the briefing into a new file and that does the trick.

The second option--and this should be done only when you are ready to go final (and you should make a duplicate copy for back up) is to ungroup the spreadsheet. You won't be able to edit it after you do that.

You can also use Paste Special to import it in as a Picture. Again, you won't be able to edit it.

Linda Adams

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back