Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PowerPlay Required Software for Development

Status
Not open for further replies.

oso1234

Programmer
May 26, 2005
US
Hi everyone,

I'm a newbie with Cognos and its tools. I'm involved in the Information delivery for a project - thinking of using Cognos Powerplay to create PowerCubes(from DB2 sources) and then generate reports.

Aside from the Cognos PowerPlay software, what else would I need for development? ie - do I need something else to generate Reports? (Impromptu??) Thank you for all the help in advance - much appreciated.

oso1234:
You need A Powerplay Transformer to be build the model that will generate your cubes....Powerlplay will be the software to generate the reports....needing impromptu depends on what kind of reports..over here all our detail reporting goes with impromptu and all summary reports are in powerplay....some with drill through capabilities to impromptu....so what you need depends exactly on what you are trying to deliver....cognos consults will be able to help you out here or if you give a detail description of what you are trying to deliver...I'm sure alot of great minds here will jump in and tell you what they think u might need....gooodluck

John Organ
MIS

As far as I know at this point - i just need to create predefined/formatted reports in excel. So i assume i won't need impromptu and Powerplay's reporting is good enough?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back