Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Powerplay Report(Urgent )

Status
Not open for further replies.

raju111

Programmer
Sep 10, 2002
US
Hi,
I have a Powerplay report which contains millions of rows.I am trying to supress zeros in rows (Exp mode).But its hanging and not doing any thing.Plz help me.
Thanks,
Noothan

By hanging do you mean that powerplay is crashing or does it just seem like it's not doing anything when really it's busy suppressing the rows in your report.

I would suggest that if you have millions of rows in your report as you say, then you need have a look at your model and see if you can define your dimensions to reduce the number of categories.

Or Use a report writer instead of powerplay. Gary Parker
Systems Support Analyst

Thanks for reply, haning the powerplay screen means junt not doing any thing, and if i see the task manager the application is not responding.You sugested insted of powerplay report writer,what is that?plz tell me more about report writer.

Thanks,
Noothan

A "not rersponding" status does not necessarily mean that the program has stopped working, all that this means is that the windows operating system does not get a response from the program when it polls for activity. This could mean that the program is busy processing other jobs i.e. suppressing blank rows in your case.

a report writer such as impromptu would allow you to define your selection criteria more precisely than powerplay.

I would still advise redefining your transformer model if you have millions of categories in a single dimension. Gary Parker
Systems Support Analyst

Zero Suppression in Powerplay is a very resource intensive process. If there is a resource crunch especially with cubes having millions of rows, the system is likely to respond very sluggishly (might even hang).

Without more information, I would suggest that the model be reviewed as suggested by GJParker and Zero's be eliminated at the source query level itself. Sounds like the cubes has very large number of categories at one or more levels.

We had the same pb.

Powerplay is not able to generate million of line in a report. Moreover, how do you want users navigate easyly on this kind of report ?
In Fact, the problem comes also from the pdf serveur.

You'd better use Impromptu instead of Powerplay.

Regards,

Stephane

Stepane is right. Impromptu must be used for detail information (millions of rows). The Powerplay cube must be filled with information with a certain level of detail. If you want more information consider a drill-thru to another cube or impromptu. This will increase the cube performance dramaticly.

Martijn

It is not unusual for a PowerPlay report to hang when you suppress zero's in a report of thousands of rows of data. It is not to be used for doing that. That is what Impromptu is for. Or, create a Powerplay report that uses less rows by filtering your criteria and using 5 reports as oppossed to 1 report for the business question involved.
[auto] CP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back