Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Powering off 2900XL 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

trini1

IS-IT--Management
Apr 1, 2003
GB
We have 15 Cisco 2900XL switches on campus and I'd to be able to to power them off daily at a specific time, and then power them back on again the next morning.

I've heard that the switches themselves are incapable of doing this, but with a central "control" server it is possible.

I'd be very grateful if someone could provide solution(s)!

Thank you.

Umm, why would you do this? and No its not possible.. If you want to block access, then you should look into a layer 3 core switch and do time based access-lists..

BuckWeet

I want to do it to prevent students playing network games/surfing the internet/browsing shares/etc. when they ought to be sleeping! It is a large boarding school. Are you sure it's not possible?

In my experience with the 2900xl switches, the less power cycling you do, the better. Although they run like the dickens, they are prone to problems at startup. Why not make 2 configs. One which allows access and the other which shuts down all of the ports. This way you can just copy the new run from a tftp server when you want to enable/disable access.

yea, they're meant to be powered up and left up. you really need time based access-lists.. You could lookin into private vlans, so the computers can't communication to each other on the local switch, and you should look into a layer 3 switch for your core and do the time based acls on it..

BuckWeet

adam108, this would work great. However, can this process be automated - Would the tftp server be able to automatically issue this config to multiple switches at once?
Which tftp server would you recommend for such a task?

(i have little experience here, but give me a starting point and I'll google thenceforth)

Thanks.

You'd have to schedule scripts to run for that to work..

basically have it telnet to the switch, then run certain commands..

BuckWeet

The free TFTP server from cisco would work fine. Otherwise any tftp server should do the trick for you. I found a telnet scripter which could be used to telnet into the various routers and execute a copy command from a tftp server. The best advice I can give about TFTP servers is to keep them organized. It makes management of the files and especially retrieval less of a headache.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back