Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Powerform and Characters like ÄÖÜ 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

gphuber

Programmer
Jan 19, 2002
DE
Im using Power Cobol 3.0V10 since 1998 with Power Form. Everything works under Windows 98 and WinNT. With Windows XP I get an Error on Output File when I try to print a Textfield within Characters like Ä Ö Ü. When I use notmal Characters it works. Does everybody know a way to print with powerform under Windows XP ??

Thanks

Goetz

Thanks for your answer Dimandja, but it doesn't fix the Problem. When I write in an Textfield it works , when i load the field from a file it fails. I can't understand it.

Goetz

Hi gphuber,

Characters like [ignore]Ä Ö Ü[/ignore] are known as Unicode characters. Normally Unicode characters must be stored and retrieved as binary data. When dealing with binary data, you must pay close attention to byte alignment (starting each Unicode character on an even byte address), and your program must be coded to perform conversions between binary and displayable data.

Some solutions:

Store Unicode data in Hex characters:
05 var PIC X(40) VALUE "FEFF65E5672C8A9E306E6CE891C8306E4F8B".

Here, you'll find a handy table for conversion of German and other Unicode characters to Decimal (hence Hex) values:

Some SQL versions have an identifier for Unicode data:
CHAR (n) UNICODE

Some database engines fully support Unicode storage/retrieval.

If you need further help on this, let me know - I'll post more resources you can use.

Dimandja

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back