Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PowerEdge 6450 PERC compatibility

Status
Not open for further replies.

jddunlap

Programmer
Jan 13, 2007
US
I own two PowerEdge 6450 x4 700Mhz 1GB Ram x4 18GB SCSI HDs PERC 2DC RAID 5

I'm using Linux on them. The problem is that the PERC 2DC is no longer supported by many Linux distributions, especially the Red Hat based varieties.

My thought was that I might be able to change the RAID controller for one that is compatible with modern Linux distributions. 6450 PERC cards are quite common on Ebay for reasonable prices. Before I take that step, however, I want to know what cards are compatible with my servers. Would I have to change the backplane as well as the controller? Is this idea even practical? Any thoughts?

I've discovered the same thing with the older Perc's that used to use the AMI 'megaraid' drivers. I've since replaced them with a couple of these and have had no trouble. (This was an example of the card only, this was not a seller that I bought from). I would expect any of the Perc 3 or 4 cards would work fine.

I've ordered a PERC 3/DC off ebay. I'll let you know how it turns out!

It was a resounding success!!!

I plugged the card in, built/configured an array, and CentOS 4.3 (2.6 Kernel) installed with absolutely no problems!

Thanks a million!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back