Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

poweredge 4400 question 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

essenmeinstuff

Technical User
Nov 21, 2006
CA
Hi All

New here and I have a question...

Some background first.

What I would like to do is purchase a used poweredge 4400 (dual xeon 800's, 1gig ram, perc raid/128mb with 4 10krpm 9gig SCSI, tape drive, 3 redundant power supplies), use it as a replacement for my workstation until I can build a new machine for that task (graphics/pcb/CAD), this could take some time, then use the dell for hosting a few websites, file/print serving, FTP server, running some light applications etc.

What I'm not sure about is if I can run "standard" 32bit PCI cards in the servers PCI slots. I would like to add a dual head ATI graphics card, PCI IDE/SATA controller, USB card and maybe sound, I would need these for while it is my "PC".

So am I wasting my time? This machine is available for pretty good price and it seems the basics specs (CPU/RAM etc) would suit well for my workstation needs except the graphics, so this is the clincher!!

Thanks in advance for any help you may offer!!

Eric

Why not look in the manual? Yes- you can add 32-bit PCI cards.

But, why would you want the 4400 as a workstation? I wouldn't one to listen to it in the same room! They're quite loud (like most servers). Lots of fans and fan noise. I have one as a server in my office, and while it's a great old box as a server, it's no desktop replacement.

Thanks Twwabw!!

I did spend some time navigating Dells web site, downloaded a bunch of docs etc... But don't know how I missed that!! [ponder]

The noise was/is the other issue, I'm sure I can quiten it down a bit though (well hopefully), plus its $150... So I can't complain ;-)

Thanks again!

I'd buy it for $150. Put it in another room with a KVM extender on it.

They're great, durable old machines, but are a bit on the loud side. You have Five (5) chassis fans; and 3 fans for the power supplies (1 ea.). They are VERY loud. Mine runs Exchange for my office, which is in my house. It is located in the basement as the noise would drive me insane. I have a 2800 that is MUCH quieter. No real way quiet them other than move them.

Hmmm we have a couple of compaq servers here at work, DL380 and R3000, how would the dell pe4400 compare in terms of noise? Just to give me an idea as I have not had a chance to look at this machine yet...

Also how many of the redundant supplies are actually needed out of curiosity?

Thanks again for the info!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back