Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

poweredge 4400 CPU question...

Status
Not open for further replies.

essenmeinstuff

Technical User
Nov 21, 2006
CA
Hi

I'm trying to work out what CPU's I can fit in my poweredge 4400. It currently has dual xeon 733's. I figured I'd ask here again as people were quite helpful in the past!!

I can't seem to find any concrete info on this.

So here goes...

Can the mother board run 100mHz FSB cpus?? This is not clear, and all the machine configs on ebay etc would suggest that they can't...
Do the cpu's need to be the 5/12V versions or the the direct core voltage versions?

If I can run the 100Mhz FSB cpus, which is better the 900MHz 2M cache, or the 1GHz 133 with 256k cache?

Thanks in advance

Eric

Oh and in case anyone is interested, since it was near impossible for me to find info on. I have succeeded in "converting" the machine for desktop or workstation use.

I have added the following:
1) 128M ATI 9250 PCI gfx card with dual head.
2) USB2.0 PCI card
3) PCI IDE controller to run DVDR and a 120gig drive
4) PCI sound card

There were some odd PCI conflicts, like the USB card wouldn't run in any other slot except the "legacy" 32bit slot even though its meant to be able to run in the 66Mhz slot! Oddities like the PCI IDE card would cause the system hang in post if a hard drive was not connected.

The machine was quite loud to start with, but removing the 3 fan tray for the SCSI drives, and swapping the 92mm dell fan for a "stealth" fan made a huge difference. The air flow due to the CPU fan and the three power supply fans causes sufficient air flow over the drives to keep them cool. I think the dell machine was quite over engineered! The CPUs never even get warm under full load.

I also removed the plastic divider thing under the PCI slots to allow the IDE cables to be run, the issue is that the PCI cards are so far away from where you can mount any drives!

So given how "easy" it was I think I might see if I can find a quad or eight CPU machine next ;-)

Hi

Thanks, I know i can run the 1g 133Mhz xeons, but will it run the 100MHz FSB ones? I'm curious because the 900MHz PIII xeon is available with 2Mb cache, this would be attractive to me but is only 100Mhz FSB. The intel data sheet on compatible chip sets implies that they are not interchangeable which is odd...

And I'm not sure which type... the 5/12V cpus with the on board core voltage regulators, or the CPU's that need an external VRM... I guess I could pull a CPU and see once this machine is finished running a simulation...

According to the server documentation the server supports 133MHz FSB and makes no note of 100MHz.
That being said I would suggest sticking to the the recommended specs for this server.

M. Brooks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back