Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PowerEdge 2850 Wake on Lan

Status
Not open for further replies.

DDinler

Technical User
Feb 14, 2011
DE
Hello,

can somebody help me.
I want to enable wake on lan on Dell PowerEdge 2850 and on a Dell PowerEdge 2950.
But i dont know how.

On the 2850, I have installed Win 2003 R2 and on the 2950 ESXi 4.1.

Thx a lot

DDinler

Why? Aren't these servers that are running 24/7? If they are, then you don't need wake on lan as they are never in a standby or hibernate situation. But if for some reason these are not running all the time, WOL is handeled in the BIOS, reboot, go into the Bios, and look for wake on lan, or WOL, and enable, that is it.

But there is nowhere an option, where i can enable WOL...

I have only found an option: "IPMI over LAN"...

Am i on the right way?

I don't know if you got your answer to this, but IPMI can take care of powering up your system. IPMI is a bit more than WOL, it is remote access in a pre-OS environment. Meaning, you can control your server even if it is in a powered off state. To do this, you need systems management software that can speak the IPMI language.

But I have to ask about WOL...referring back to rclarke. Why are the servers off? A 2850 is designed to run 24x7.

-----

Allan D. Reed

rclarke250; you are in no position to critique; it was a tech lackey, like you, who enabled WOL on BOTH broadcom NICS in a 2950 server I am now responsible for, instead of just one or the other as recommended in the manual. This cost the company one power supply, before it's full service life, as the manual said it would; AUX cannot handle powering both.

DDiner: please see this PDF booklet,

and then begin from this section;

You will need UXDIAG.EXE and IBAUTIL.EXE on a DOS diskette to adjust this setting.

seriously rclarke, Read the Manual, or find yourself another trade.

Thanks a lot...

I solve the problem with the Remote Access Controller...
The server doesn't run 24/7, because it is a training server for the students...
So we shut down the server every day...

Thanks again for your answers...

sync2x what is your problem? what did I say? what did I critique? as you put it....the OP wanted to turn on WOL, I said look in cmos settings, I asked why it would need WOL. What does your problem on a 2950 have to do with what I said to the OP? Did I say enable on both nics? Did I even hint at enabling wol on 2 nics in the same system? why should I read the manual? The OP can read the manual as well as I , as well as google the info needed. You sir, need to take a breath, and a step back, obviously the stress in your life is having an effect on your mental state, good day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back