Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Poweredge 2650 Boot Issue Adaptec AIC-7899 Controller Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

rocketsports

Technical User
May 13, 2008
Following a power failure, we are unable to proceed past the point where the system scans for SCSI IDs. When I arrived this morning the machine was stuck at the message shown in #8 below. It is protected by a UPS so I an not too sure how it rebooted.

1) System boots to Dell splash screen normally

2) Server firmware ids appear normally

3) Processor info appears normally

4) Adaptec message saying:
"Adaptec AIC-7899 SCSI BIOS Build 25309" followed by copyright info

5) Message option to enter SCSISelect Utility

6) Message
"Adaptec SCSI BIOS v3.10.0" followed by copyright info.

7) Message option to enter SCSISelect Utility

8) Message

Slot CH ID LUN Vendor Product Size
02 A 0 blank blank blank

The ID field begins at 0 and counts normally until it gets to 5. The system then freezes and becomes unresponsive to anything other than CTRL + ALT + DEL.

I am unable to enter the server setup (DELL) screen, though it is possible to access the SCSISelect utility. Within the SCSISelect utility, I am able to verify the primary controller at ID 7, and see that both channels are present. Other than that, there is very little that I can do. PLEASE HELP!!!!

Could be that a disk has failed in such a way that the controller gets confused. I would unplug each disk one at a time to see if the controller will finish POSTing.

Are you not using the PERC RAID controller? If you are then the Adaptec is probably there to run a tape deck or other external storage. You could remove the Adaptec to see if the machine will boot up.

"We must fall back upon the old axiom that when all other contingencies fail, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." - Sherlock Holmes

I unplugged the cable from the tape drive and I can now get past the SCSI ID screen. The system then proceeds to boot normally. I have had problems with the tape drive in the past so it is probably the culprit. Due to my inexperience with the PERC controller, I assumed the drives were handled by the SCSI system. I originally tried removing the drives 1 by 1, but to no avail. Given my newfound PERC knowledge, I now understand the futility of that exercise.

Of the 3 forums that this question was posted in, you were the first to respond. Thank you for saving me a lot of trouble.

Glad you got it figured out. Tek-Tips has a lot of really great forums, welcome aboard.

"We must fall back upon the old axiom that when all other contingencies fail, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." - Sherlock Holmes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back