Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Poweredge 2600, Orange blinking light, no monitor can't diagnose

Status
Not open for further replies.

alareach

ISP
Jun 1, 2006
US
Hi,
Our PowerEdge 2600 was working just fine. Now when booting the monitor will not come on and an Orange light flashes. The power supply lights are all green and fans all seem to be spinning. I am lost on this one... Even tried new RAM. Any ideas?

I have tried putting in the manage disks but that won't help since it doesn't seem like it's booting.. the monitor won't power (it's plugged in) indicating the server is up at all. Just fans running and orange indicator flashing.

I don't see anything wrong in fans or wiring.
Anyone run into this scenario without the monitor powering up before?

Thanks in advance

Anyone run into this scenario without the monitor powering up before?
Yes. When the graphics card has died.
But in your case if the server is not responding (not bootable) you could have a processor that crapped out.

M. Brooks

Yeah if you can't ping it on the network (assuming it was networked before it died) I'd suspect a motherboard or CPU issue otherwise it's likely just the graphics card (although this will likely mean a motherboard replacement to).

Took it to a Dell repair shop locally.

I bought a new motherboard on ebay since that's what they thought it was too..

Motherboard replaced... still no monitor.
He put the same mboard into another server and it posted, won't in our box though.

He didn't have another cPU to test, but since it posted on another server it should indicate that motherboard and cpu are okay IMO, but I could be wrong here.

Only test done on power supply was voltage which looked okay, but being it seems that everything but the physical box or power supply is all that is left I may try a new power supply.

We just don't have any lights indicating power supply problem on the power supply and power voltage looks right on the power supply.

I really appreciate your ideas so far, since both are things which were most likely what was wrong. I think I have a sick box though.

Well the only thing left in this case *is* the power supply - or ram. memory would cause system beeping however so unlikely that is the issue, unless this has been happening. A voltage regulator in the power supply can easily cause the problems you are experiencing and is the most likely cause.

acutauall it sounds like a crounding issue. I would agree on the replacing of the power supply.

kg00se

Sleep deprived here, but I ask anyway---is this flashing light on the Dell box or the monitor? Have you tried using a different monitor?

Hi,
Well, I got a new Voltage Regulator. Put it in with out a monitor nearby since I am in the middle of moving.

The box does the normal seek on drives now when booting.
The blue light does not flash orange/yellow as it did before.

But monitor still doesn't work. Keep in mind, by now I have replaced the Motherboard also. This new MB "could" have a bad video card since I never tested in a working box. I am not quite ready to switch back to the other MB, but wanted to try adding a video card to test. My video card from another PC here does not even fit since the slot it so close to the back of the case. Is anyone familiar with a cheap video card I can fit in to test?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back