Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Poweredge 2600 1 gbs nic to 1 gbs nic of another server

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikej97204

IS-IT--Management
Jul 12, 2005
US

I have a SQL database on a Poweredge 2600 running 2000 Server which has 2 1 gps nic interfaces. One is being used for the network connection and the other one is not being used. I want to connect the 2nd one to another server with a 2nd 1 gps nic interface and use that connection to copy the SQL backup files to the other server. It's actually a HP DL380. The two servers are right next to each other. I know I'll need a cross over cable between them and I'll need to give the two an IP address (I assume), but other than that, how do I get the two to talk to each other? Since the Poweredge is a production SQL server I don't want to play while I figure it out.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Mike

You shouldn't need anything else. Configure the 2nd nic to be on a different subnet than the first.

You should be able to map drives using the IP address. I do it all the time during migrations.

Pat Richard, MCSE(2) MCSA:Messaging, CNA(2)

Thanks Pat. I tried it on two other servers and used the same subnet IP address. Maybe that's why it didn't work. I will try it again.

Thanks

Mike

sniper is correct. All you will need is a crossover cable, and seperate ip and subnet then your production NICs.

Yeah I have a few servers configured like this, I tend to use 111.111.111.111 and 111.111.111.112 for the IP addressing between the x-over connected NICs just so it's obvious but as long as they're on a unique subnet you should be fine.

This sounds like a great idea for transferring large files across your network without hogging bandwidth on your main subnet domain. Is the troughput as good as if you were using straight-through cables? If I have 2 , GB cards, will they transfer at that rate? Thanks.

It's just as good. I've seen people use the second NIC for administration of webservers, as well. And, I've seen it used for remote backups of other servers. Keeps all the traffic off the "main" nic.

Pat Richard, MCSE(2) MCSA:Messaging, CNA(2)

I've been busy the last few days so haven't had a chance to do the connection above. But it was suggested that I connect through a gbit switch rather than a cross over cable, so I ordered a Dell 2608 gigabit switch and will be connecting through that. That will also allow me to connect a couple more servers so I can have a 3rd server to pass the large database files to and any other large files I need to move. I should be getting that switch any day and will try it out. I'll be using the IP suggestions above when I do.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back