Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Poweredge 2550 Drives

Status
Not open for further replies.

raaudia4

Technical User
Mar 1, 2002
US
I have (5) 33.9 SCSI H/D drive in the server. ALL I can see on the sytem is 2 of the HD. I have initialized the other drives but I cannot see the free space in windows disk management.

Have you tried to see if you can see the drives in something other then the OS? Try Dell Diags or the onboard setup for the RAID card and see if you can see them. Are these new drives or have they been in place for a while?

They might have to inintalized by the RAID card SW inorder for the system to use them.

Michael

I can see 2 of the 5 drives in the Array mange Console. I can see 2 of the 5 drives in windows disk manager. I replaced 1 of the HD and initialized it, but I still cannot see the drive in windows or the array console. Upon sytem bootup I hit CTRL A and went into SCSI config utility. When I try to initialize the drives I get the prompt "no Drives Selected". ALl of the drives have the "green ready" light so I am fairly confident they are OK.

If you are not seeing the drives in array manager that’s why they are not showing in the OS. Still sounds like a HW problem to me. The 2550 has 4 drives bays on the front and they connect to the scsi backplane but if you are adding a fifth drive inside the chassis and you have to have a second skis daughter card for that and it should show as two interface cards in the SW one with 2 drives on it and one with 3 drives on it.

Here is a link that has step-by-step documentation to adding the 5th drive to the 2550.

HTH
Michael

Opps spell check

If you are not seeing the drives in array manager that’s why they are not showing in the OS. Still sounds like a HW problem to me. The 2550 has 4 drives bays on the front and they connect to the scsi backplane but if you are adding a fifth drive inside the chassis and you have to have a second scsi daughter card for that and it should show as two interface cards in the SW one with 2 drives on it and one with 3 drives on it.

Here is a link that has step-by-step documentation to adding the 5th drive to the 2550.

HTH
Michael

Mike, I rebooted the server and and during startup this is what I see during bootup:

container #1 33.9 gig stipe 0
container #2 33.9 gig stripe 1

After that screen I hit <CTRL-A> and go into config menu. I go into the "container configuration utility" and navigate in to sub-menu which are Initialize disk and Create Container. In the initialize menu I can see the 5 drives. When I try to select the drives I get the message "No Dive Selected". I then back out of that menu and go into Create container menu and I can see the 5 drives.

The next menu I navigate to is the SCSI Select Utility and from there I go into the Disk Utility on chanel #0 and this is what I have:

SCSI ID #0 Quantum
SCSI ID #1 Quantum
SCSI ID #2 Quantum
SCSI ID #3 Quantum
SCSI ID #4 Quantum
SCSI ID #5 No Device
SCSI ID #6 Dell 1x5 U2W SCSI BP
SCSI ID #7 Array Controller
SCSI ID #8 No Device

Also I did run the diag disk and no error were found. The bios is finding the drives but only 2 are showing up in WIN2K. Thanks for the Help.

Eeeek! One word of advice - I note stripes being used over 2 drives. RAID 0 is dangerous to say the least.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back