Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PowerEdge 2450 Re-booting

Status
Not open for further replies.

b346

IS-IT--Management
Jun 29, 2005
US
Hi,

Have a Dell PowerEdge 2450 PIII dual CPU, 1 Gig mem. I set the bios password and one of my asst. entered the bios password incorrectly and now the server just kept re-booting.

Any help would be great.

Most desktop computer motherboards have a jumper labeled something like Clear CMOS, Clear Password, PASSWD or CLRPWD. Look along the edges of the motherboard near the CMOS battery (the quarter-sized disk on the motherboard). Change the setting by removing the black jumper covering two pins, or moving the jumper from pins 1-2 to pins 2-3. Then restart the computer, reset your password and change the jumper setting back to the original setting.

Thanks for the info, there is a jumper labled "clr ISA" and I not sure what is that for. So, I didnt not move the jumper. I clear the biso password, however when I reboot the computer it went through all the checking just right before it suppose to boot to Widnows. It reboot again and it never get to boot to Windows.

I try to move the jumper that labled "CLR ISA"

Once again, thanks

Boot the system off any decent Linux LiveCD, such as Knoppix,
and see if:
a) The Dell partition is still present, usually at /dev/sda1.
b) The Windows partitions is present, usually at /dev/sda2.
c) The Windows partition is marked as "active". There will
be an * next to the active partition.

Beyond that, does the drive(s) do that in another physical
machine? If yes, then the problem is the data on the drives
or the drives themselves. If no, then the problem is in
the hardware on the machine you're working on (backplane,
scsi cable, controller, memory, cpu, fans, ... _something_)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back