Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PowerChute Business Edition NW6

Status
Not open for further replies.

SSWNET

MIS
Aug 29, 2002
US
Anyone experiencing issues with NW6 SP2 and PowerChute Business Edition? We keep losing the connection, then we get the connection back... APC has no idea, and we have been working with them for several weeks now.

hey there

goodluck with powerchute support, they have no idea i think

maybe u can help me

Powerchute Business Edition is not compatible with any JVM version less than 1.2.2 in a netware 5.1 and 6 environment

currently runing a netware 5.1 server(SP3) the java nlm version is running a lesser version , do i need to update the service pack or can i just simply update the java side of things(if so, how), not much exposure to netware 5.1

i typed SYS:\pcbe\install(server console) and received a java error, im sure its related to the java version curently running

thanx in advance

pousti

I am fairly new to the Netware arena myself. We skipped Netware 5 and went from NW4.11 right to 6 SP2, so I am afraid I can't be of much help in the JAVA area. Try Novell's Forum from their support site. I did find some references to people who are having the same issues that I am there.

APC support really is clueless. After more in depth research on our side, we found that while we were loading AIOCOMX in the autoexec.ncf (as instructed by APC), PowerChute has an ncf file that unloads it and reloads it with different settings... so all changes that we are trying in the autoexec.ncf are useless. We made other changes and now our powerchute loses connection and stays lost. Very frustrating. I have been in contact with someone that has been trying to get this working since July.

I have finally had luck with my Powerchute Business Edition, and no thanks to their TS. Have it running and it's staying connected. Just dumped everything and started over, even reapplying the sp2 on Netware because when Powerchute was not properly working, we lost power a few times and the server was powered down and up several times and my suspicion was some corrupted files. But be aware that if your server hangs and you cannot gracefully unload Powerchute BE, things will go wrong again, as I have experienced twice now. PCBE does not like not being gracefully shutdown! Just had ArcServe 7 total abend and hang up my server, and had to use the debugger to take the server down. After bringing it up and running the usual repair routines, bringing down and back up again normally, the Powerchute BE loads up, there's communication b/w the server and the UPS, but nothing is getting logged to the event log. Access to it has been totally disabled, and I can't even configure it. Probably corruption again. It does not seem to be a very good product [thumbsdown], this BE version. The old version was better (just like ArcServe, 6.6 was better than 7!). If anybody has experienced this pls let me know how you fixed it. :)

TIA,

Gromit

Gromit:
We are experiencing the identical problems. Event log no longer works, when trying to configure, the configuration page says "No oid". The M11.cfg keeps getting corrupted when restarting the service. By salvaging that file or making a backup copy while it's working we can get the logging working again. We still have no luck in getting powerchute to stay running. Most of the time when it loses connections it re-establishes, however this can't be counted on. It lost connection about 10 times yesterday alone. We currently have a ticket open with APC (for the last 3 weeks), and I agree, their TS is not very T! Are you using dual or multi processors on your server? They have set up a "test environment" using dual processors, but cannot seem to replicate our situation. All cases I have heard about with this issue so far are with 2 or more processors. APC has suggested that they disable all but one processor. Lame.

SSWnet:
Yep, I agree disabling a processor *is* really lame! Very poor tech support. I just wish they would get their act together and fix the product. It used to be pretty good, now it's just really bad. I have only a single processor in my particular situation, so I am not much help here to you. Sorry about that. I will try your suggestion to get the log file working again. It's pretty ridiculous to have to keep reinstalling the product every time this happens.

Gromit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back